Find out about Tourette Syndrome, the disorder Rani Mukherji portrays in her comeback film
March 25, 2018
Everyone is talking about how wonderful Rani Mukherji's comeback film Hichki is. The movie, as well as the character she has played, is getting much praise.
In Hichki, she plays the role of a teacher who has a very rare syndrome known as Tourette Syndrome. This is a neurological disorder, where the person has repetitive and stereotyped involuntary vocalizations and movements, that are called tics.
The person with Tourette Syndrome tends to make involuntary movements like grunting, facial grimacing, sniffing and jerking the arms.
This disorder is named after the French neurologist, Dr Georges Gilles de la Tourette. There are two types of tics associated with Tourette Syndrome. These are motor tics and vocal tics. This disorder occurs in one in a 100 people across the world.
Motor tics refer to the movements that a person with Tourette Syndrome makes like, shoulder shrugging, jaw movements, neck stretching, head bobbing, making purposeful motions, jumping, twirling, etc.
Vocal tics refers to sounds, like throat clearing, sniffing, hooting, shouting, or in complex cases, barking, and making animal noises.
There is no medication for Tourette Syndrome. It is advisable to go for psychotherapy, according to doctors. Some famous celebrities like football player David Beckham, music composers Mozart and Beethoven also had Tourette Syndrome.
People with Tourette Syndrome usually have other conditions such as Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior (OCB), Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASDs), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
The exact cause of Tourette Syndrome is not known, but it can happen due to genetic or inherited factors. If there is a family history, then a person is more likely to have the syndrome.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Mamata Banerjee says ‘Super Emergency’ in India since Modi rule
- Headlines June 23, 2019 ‘Kabir Singh’ becomes fourth-highest opener of 2019
- Headlines June 19, 2019 Aussie player Steve Smith praises Virat
- Events June 20, 2019 Mental Health Session
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News