She lost her feet in an accident, but has found new life as a comedian
March 25, 2018
Stand-up comedian Danielle Perez often has to be carried on stage as most stages are not wheelchair accessible. Once she is up there, though, she is very much in charge.
33-year-old Perez says she feels right at home on stage. She feels powerful when she makes people laugh.
As a child she struggled with issues like depression and eating disorders. Then, when Perez was a student at the San Francisco State University, her life changed.
While crossing a street, she had an accident and lost her legs. The impact also shattered her pelvis and ruptured her bladder. She was just 20 years old. Her legs were amputated below the knee.
She was depressed for many years. Then one day she found her healing place at a comedy place. Perez started going to comedy shows with friends. She decided to start doing them herself.
She took a comedy class and started going to open mics. Perez uses her life stories in her comedy routines. She talks about her family, her friends and dating. She also talks about her depression.
Now, Perez performs in comedy clubs all over Los Angeles.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism and dental health
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Make comedy film on PM Modi: Urmila Matondkar
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News