She lost her feet in an accident, but has found new life as a comedian
March 25, 2018
Stand-up comedian Danielle Perez often has to be carried on stage as most stages are not wheelchair accessible. Once she is up there, though, she is very much in charge.
33-year-old Perez says she feels right at home on stage. She feels powerful when she makes people laugh.
As a child she struggled with issues like depression and eating disorders. Then, when Perez was a student at the San Francisco State University, her life changed.
While crossing a street, she had an accident and lost her legs. The impact also shattered her pelvis and ruptured her bladder. She was just 20 years old. Her legs were amputated below the knee.
She was depressed for many years. Then one day she found her healing place at a comedy place. Perez started going to comedy shows with friends. She decided to start doing them herself.
She took a comedy class and started going to open mics. Perez uses her life stories in her comedy routines. She talks about her family, her friends and dating. She also talks about her depression.
Now, Perez performs in comedy clubs all over Los Angeles.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Parenting Corner - Parent’s role in education
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 24, 2019 India dismissed report on rising religious tensions
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News