Treatment of hearing loss is possible, say scientists
March 26, 2018
Hearing loss can occur at any age. The most common cause of loss of hearing is exposure to loud noises. Some other causes also are drug-induced due to medications or injuries.
As per data there are around 360 million people worldwide who suffer from hearing loss.
However, there is still no standard treatment that can cure hearing loss.
Researchers have now found that a compound called kenpaullone is effective in protecting the cochlear cells in the ear from the side effects of medication. They have done tests on mice and rats. An injection of kenpaullone in the middle ear of mice and rats protected them from hearing loss due to cisplatin. This is a medication used for treating cancer.
Kenpaullone can also help in treatment of noise-induced hearing loss.
Scientists are hopeful that further research can help get design proper treatment for hearing loss.
Watch in Sign Language
- "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
March 20, 2019
- Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
March 20, 2019
- Child prodigy Joshua Beckford proves disability need not be a roadblock to your dreams
March 19, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Accessibility March 15, 2019 Election Commission's voter helpline 1950 proves to be a letdown for disabled community in Chennai
- Accessibility March 14, 2019 Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Headlines March 20, 2019 One CRPF jawan killed, six others injured in naxal attack
- Events March 14, 2019 World Down Syndrome Celebration
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 How a Facebook page helped rally a support group for wheelchair users in Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News