Treatment of hearing loss is possible, say scientists
March 26, 2018
Hearing loss can occur at any age. The most common cause of loss of hearing is exposure to loud noises. Some other causes also are drug-induced due to medications or injuries.
As per data there are around 360 million people worldwide who suffer from hearing loss.
However, there is still no standard treatment that can cure hearing loss.
Researchers have now found that a compound called kenpaullone is effective in protecting the cochlear cells in the ear from the side effects of medication. They have done tests on mice and rats. An injection of kenpaullone in the middle ear of mice and rats protected them from hearing loss due to cisplatin. This is a medication used for treating cancer.
Kenpaullone can also help in treatment of noise-induced hearing loss.
Scientists are hopeful that further research can help get design proper treatment for hearing loss.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Former union Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody until Monday
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Don't demonise PM Modi, say senior Congress leaders
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Singer Mika apologizes to nation
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
- Accessibility August 25, 2019 Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News