Treatment of hearing loss is possible, say scientists
March 26, 2018
Hearing loss can occur at any age. The most common cause of loss of hearing is exposure to loud noises. Some other causes also are drug-induced due to medications or injuries.
As per data there are around 360 million people worldwide who suffer from hearing loss.
However, there is still no standard treatment that can cure hearing loss.
Researchers have now found that a compound called kenpaullone is effective in protecting the cochlear cells in the ear from the side effects of medication. They have done tests on mice and rats. An injection of kenpaullone in the middle ear of mice and rats protected them from hearing loss due to cisplatin. This is a medication used for treating cancer.
Kenpaullone can also help in treatment of noise-induced hearing loss.
Scientists are hopeful that further research can help get design proper treatment for hearing loss.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Accessibility May 20, 2019 Goa election officials, NGOs come together to conduct accessibility audit of polling booths
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 Understanding Chronic Pain
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya apologizes for Godse comments
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Get-hooked May 19, 2019 #BeingMom - Vinayana Khurana's creative side was enhanced by mother Neerja
- Employment May 19, 2019 At Indore workshop on workplace inclusion, corporates share learnings & inspiring stories
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - Behind swimming champ Ankita Anvikar's success story is mom Anjali
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News