Treatment of hearing loss is possible, say scientists
Hearing loss can occur at any age. The most common cause of loss of hearing is exposure to loud noises. Some other causes also are drug-induced due to medications or injuries.
As per data there are around 360 million people worldwide who suffer from hearing loss.
However, there is still no standard treatment that can cure hearing loss.
Researchers have now found that a compound called kenpaullone is effective in protecting the cochlear cells in the ear from the side effects of medication. They have done tests on mice and rats. An injection of kenpaullone in the middle ear of mice and rats protected them from hearing loss due to cisplatin. This is a medication used for treating cancer.
Kenpaullone can also help in treatment of noise-induced hearing loss.
Scientists are hopeful that further research can help get design proper treatment for hearing loss.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Accessibility January 22, 2019 From ground up to policy level, Multiple Sclerosis Society of India speaks for patients India-wide
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Benefit Cosmetics' move to feature model with Down syndrome as ambassador gets a big thumbs up
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Buddhi residential school empowers children with Down syndrome in Bengaluru
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News