Despite 4 world cup victories, India's blind cricket team still finds itself in the shadows
March 26, 2018
Even after bringing home four world cups and the Asian Cup, the blind cricket team of India finds itself neglected and sidelined by the Board of Cricket Control of India (BCCI).
Recently, the blind cricket team had appealed to the BCCI to recognize them. Many renowned cricketers, including Sachin Tendulkar, have urged the BCCI in this regard. However, there has been no movement forward.
The blind cricket team won the title of world champions in in 2014 and 2018. They also won the T-20 World Cup in the years 2012 and 2017. The Asian Cup was brought to India by this team in 2016. In spite of all these laurels, they are sidelined.
Zeeshan Haider, the captain of the blind cricket team from Uttar Pradesh, is also a part of the national team. Haider says that blind cricketers do not even have a stadium to practice. They have to meet their own expenses while attending national matches.
Fast bowler Deepak Mallik says the team does not even have an official, full-time doctor. When one of the players is injured, other players have to step in and help.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Some tips for making travel comfortable when you have a child with Down syndrome
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Get-hooked May 25, 2019 Urmi Foundation helps disabled kids from poor communities get access to education
- Technology May 23, 2019 #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News