All buildings, recreational facilities in Bhubaneshwar to be made disabled-friendly
The government of Odisha plans to provide barrier-free access to persons with disabilities at all buildings and recreational areas in the capital city, Bhubaneshwar.
Until now, the facility was provided only at a few major government buildings and recreational areas. This has now been amended to include all buildings and facilities.
The Odisha government has issued a notice in this regard to all its agencies. The notice states that buildings, including guest houses, police stations, fire stations, and jails are to be made fully accessible for disabled people.
All government departments will have to put up the required infrastructure for disabled people at their own cost. They have to give in a compliance report by December 2018.
This initiative is part of the Accessible India campaign started by the central government. Under this campaign, all state-level local authorities were told to identify and put up infrastructure at public places to provide easy access to disabled people. The facilities to be set up will depend on the need and the number of people who visit the facility.
The Odisha government had identified 10 major places for this in February 2017. It was later changed to 21 facilities.
All the places will have separate facilities for people using wheelchairs and crutches. There will be arrangements made for people who are blind and deaf as well.
The new National Building Code of the central government also emphasizes the need for disabled-friendly infrastructure in all buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 15, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Events December 13, 2018 DRIVE FOR AUTISM - A TSD CAR RALLY
- Events December 17, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News