All buildings, recreational facilities in Bhubaneshwar to be made disabled-friendly
March 26, 2018
The government of Odisha plans to provide barrier-free access to persons with disabilities at all buildings and recreational areas in the capital city, Bhubaneshwar.
Until now, the facility was provided only at a few major government buildings and recreational areas. This has now been amended to include all buildings and facilities.
The Odisha government has issued a notice in this regard to all its agencies. The notice states that buildings, including guest houses, police stations, fire stations, and jails are to be made fully accessible for disabled people.
All government departments will have to put up the required infrastructure for disabled people at their own cost. They have to give in a compliance report by December 2018.
This initiative is part of the Accessible India campaign started by the central government. Under this campaign, all state-level local authorities were told to identify and put up infrastructure at public places to provide easy access to disabled people. The facilities to be set up will depend on the need and the number of people who visit the facility.
The Odisha government had identified 10 major places for this in February 2017. It was later changed to 21 facilities.
All the places will have separate facilities for people using wheelchairs and crutches. There will be arrangements made for people who are blind and deaf as well.
The new National Building Code of the central government also emphasizes the need for disabled-friendly infrastructure in all buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
- Dehradun pool forced to grant equal access to disabled adults after official intervention
June 27, 2019
- Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
June 26, 2019
- Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
June 26, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some effective yoga poses for wheelchair users
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News