All buildings, recreational facilities in Bhubaneshwar to be made disabled-friendly
The government of Odisha plans to provide barrier-free access to persons with disabilities at all buildings and recreational areas in the capital city, Bhubaneshwar.
Until now, the facility was provided only at a few major government buildings and recreational areas. This has now been amended to include all buildings and facilities.
The Odisha government has issued a notice in this regard to all its agencies. The notice states that buildings, including guest houses, police stations, fire stations, and jails are to be made fully accessible for disabled people.
All government departments will have to put up the required infrastructure for disabled people at their own cost. They have to give in a compliance report by December 2018.
This initiative is part of the Accessible India campaign started by the central government. Under this campaign, all state-level local authorities were told to identify and put up infrastructure at public places to provide easy access to disabled people. The facilities to be set up will depend on the need and the number of people who visit the facility.
The Odisha government had identified 10 major places for this in February 2017. It was later changed to 21 facilities.
All the places will have separate facilities for people using wheelchairs and crutches. There will be arrangements made for people who are blind and deaf as well.
The new National Building Code of the central government also emphasizes the need for disabled-friendly infrastructure in all buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair taxi service Ezy Mov is set to go places
October 21, 2018
- Mumbai bookstore Trilogy is helping to spread the word about Braille
October 19, 2018
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology October 20, 2018 Microsoft pledge to develop EdTech for dyslexic students has great potential for India
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh will now be known as Prayagraj
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Accessibility October 15, 2018 Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 21, 2018
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News