All buildings, recreational facilities in Bhubaneshwar to be made disabled-friendly
The government of Odisha plans to provide barrier-free access to persons with disabilities at all buildings and recreational areas in the capital city, Bhubaneshwar.
Until now, the facility was provided only at a few major government buildings and recreational areas. This has now been amended to include all buildings and facilities.
The Odisha government has issued a notice in this regard to all its agencies. The notice states that buildings, including guest houses, police stations, fire stations, and jails are to be made fully accessible for disabled people.
All government departments will have to put up the required infrastructure for disabled people at their own cost. They have to give in a compliance report by December 2018.
This initiative is part of the Accessible India campaign started by the central government. Under this campaign, all state-level local authorities were told to identify and put up infrastructure at public places to provide easy access to disabled people. The facilities to be set up will depend on the need and the number of people who visit the facility.
The Odisha government had identified 10 major places for this in February 2017. It was later changed to 21 facilities.
All the places will have separate facilities for people using wheelchairs and crutches. There will be arrangements made for people who are blind and deaf as well.
The new National Building Code of the central government also emphasizes the need for disabled-friendly infrastructure in all buildings.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Jaish-e-Mohammed's key aide killed in Kashmir
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Events February 21, 2019 Free Medical Camp
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Accessibility February 11, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News