Don't use divyang for disabled people, says visually impaired law school topper Rahul Bajaj
March 26, 2018
Rahul Bajaj, a blind law student, was awarded 20 awards, including 13 gold medals, at the 105th convocation of the Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University (RTMNU).
Bajaj stood first in RTMNU among students from all streams.
Bajaj, who is likely to be India's first disabled student to be chosen for the prestigious Rhodes scholarship, will now head to Oxford University.
Bajaj is presently working with a top law firm in New Delhi. He has interned under Supreme Court and High Court judges. Bajaj said the awards were a recognition of the effort he had put in over five years at his course.
In the next few months, he will leave for Oxford University. He plans to focus on streams like intellectual property rights and constitutional law. Bajaj gave credit to a software called Screen Reader for the help he got in his studies as it allowed him to hear the words written on a computer screen.
Bajaj said he objected to the use of words like 'divyang' for people with disabilities. This is the word coined by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Bajaj said that words like divyang, differently-abled, and specially-abled should not be used as it alienates people with disabilities. He said that disabled people should be treated like equals.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Special buddies program (Intermediate group)
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Making a difference – Quick Tips for budding social entrepreneurs
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Education June 24, 2019 Inclusive Education - Challenges and Barriers - Guest column by Rukmini Krishnaswamy
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 United Kingdom government grants visa to blind Indian musicians, reverses earlier order
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News