This Mumbai group is encouraging visually impaired students to pursue science & engineering
March 26, 2018
Paras Jain, a blind engineering student in Mumbai is studying in his final year now. Jain, along with nine visually challenged people, has formed a group. They are approaching colleges and blind students on social media platforms to encourage them to pursue a career in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
They are building a digital archive of books on STEM for students like them to access. This is because even though the blind students find it tough when it comes to higher studies in science and engineering. This is due to the lack of access to physical infrastructure in college and non-availability of digital books to support students.
Jain is passionate about technology. He feels very strongly about the fact that blind students have been deprived of education in science and engineering. Jain says he would often sit in class not knowing which code or diagram was being drawn by the teacher on the board.
The idea to start a group to encourage visually impaired students to pursue STEM came over months. The group officially started in 2016.
About 30 students and professionals have joined this group. They mostly interact on social media platforms. They are working together to improve the technological challenges a blind person faces while reading a diagram, or understanding a code.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
- Events March 20, 2019 Parent Interaction With Jo Chopra
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Kolkata school for kids with disabilities to stay shut until investigation into drowning death is over
- Headlines March 21, 2019 All IPL 2019 matches will be played in India
- Events March 20, 2019 Session by Smrithy Rajesh
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Congress leader Sam Pitroda questions airstrike in Balakot
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Events March 19, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News