This Mumbai group is encouraging visually impaired students to pursue science & engineering
Paras Jain, a blind engineering student in Mumbai is studying in his final year now. Jain, along with nine visually challenged people, has formed a group. They are approaching colleges and blind students on social media platforms to encourage them to pursue a career in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
They are building a digital archive of books on STEM for students like them to access. This is because even though the blind students find it tough when it comes to higher studies in science and engineering. This is due to the lack of access to physical infrastructure in college and non-availability of digital books to support students.
Jain is passionate about technology. He feels very strongly about the fact that blind students have been deprived of education in science and engineering. Jain says he would often sit in class not knowing which code or diagram was being drawn by the teacher on the board.
The idea to start a group to encourage visually impaired students to pursue STEM came over months. The group officially started in 2016.
About 30 students and professionals have joined this group. They mostly interact on social media platforms. They are working together to improve the technological challenges a blind person faces while reading a diagram, or understanding a code.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 17, 2018 Mithali Raj is highest T20I run scorer in India, beats Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
- Technology November 12, 2018 Manovue glove opens doors to visually impaired people who do not know Braille
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Headlines November 16, 2018 South African President to be Republic Day chief guest
- Headlines November 12, 2018 Cyclonic storm lashes coasts of Tamil Nadu, south Andhra
- Get-hooked November 10, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 – Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Education November 14, 2018 Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News