Free, battery car service started for elderly & disabled people in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
The district administration of Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu has started a free, battery-operated, four-wheeler service from the Kokkirakulam bus stop to the Tirunelveli Collectorate. This is to help disabled people and the elderly.
The distance is only about 500 meters, but District Collector Sandeep Nanduri said it would be of great help to people who find it hard to come to the Collectorate in the heavy traffic.
Every Monday, about 1,200 people come to the Collectorate for the weekly grievances meeting. On other days of the week, more than 200 people come. Many of them include elderly and disabled people.
On one occasion, a well-to-do person noticed the difficulties faced by the disabled people and elderly and anonymously donated Rs 5.5 lakh to buy, operate, and maintain a battery-operated car for their benefit.
The car will initially be operated on Mondays and for the special grievances meeting for disabled people. Based on the response, the service may be extended to other days of the week.
Watch in Sign Language
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
- Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 #LovePossible - What happened when Satendra Singh met his Paro
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajasthan Royals will wear pink this IPL season
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Headlines February 11, 2019 Robert Vadra takes to Facebook to share his story
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 9, 2019 Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian to hit 100 sixes
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019