Free, battery car service started for elderly & disabled people in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
March 28, 2018
The district administration of Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu has started a free, battery-operated, four-wheeler service from the Kokkirakulam bus stop to the Tirunelveli Collectorate. This is to help disabled people and the elderly.
The distance is only about 500 meters, but District Collector Sandeep Nanduri said it would be of great help to people who find it hard to come to the Collectorate in the heavy traffic.
Every Monday, about 1,200 people come to the Collectorate for the weekly grievances meeting. On other days of the week, more than 200 people come. Many of them include elderly and disabled people.
On one occasion, a well-to-do person noticed the difficulties faced by the disabled people and elderly and anonymously donated Rs 5.5 lakh to buy, operate, and maintain a battery-operated car for their benefit.
The car will initially be operated on Mondays and for the special grievances meeting for disabled people. Based on the response, the service may be extended to other days of the week.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Events August 14, 2019 Let your hands do the talking
- Headlines August 16, 2019 PM Modi's Independence Day address - Key points
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 17 Aug-18 Aug
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Indian wins Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament title
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 A personal struggle inspired this elderly couple to start Balajothi Centre to empower disabled children
- Education August 12, 2019 A YouTuber by chance, Husna Ameen proves disability is no barrier to pursue dreams
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News