Free, battery car service started for elderly & disabled people in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
March 28, 2018
The district administration of Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu has started a free, battery-operated, four-wheeler service from the Kokkirakulam bus stop to the Tirunelveli Collectorate. This is to help disabled people and the elderly.
The distance is only about 500 meters, but District Collector Sandeep Nanduri said it would be of great help to people who find it hard to come to the Collectorate in the heavy traffic.
Every Monday, about 1,200 people come to the Collectorate for the weekly grievances meeting. On other days of the week, more than 200 people come. Many of them include elderly and disabled people.
On one occasion, a well-to-do person noticed the difficulties faced by the disabled people and elderly and anonymously donated Rs 5.5 lakh to buy, operate, and maintain a battery-operated car for their benefit.
The car will initially be operated on Mondays and for the special grievances meeting for disabled people. Based on the response, the service may be extended to other days of the week.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Reports of rift within Indian cricket team to be probed
- Accessibility July 12, 2019 Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
- Headlines July 16, 2019 Karnataka government trust vote on Thursday
- Education July 15, 2019 Viewing the draft National Education Policy 2019 through the disability lens - Guest column by Shampa Sengupta
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 “Stay positive to beat all odds” - My Take by Jomy John Joseph, disability rights activist
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 An instinctive, nurturing approach enables this music teacher to unearth talents in disabled students
- Events July 11, 2019 Inclusive Art Therapy Workshop
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Skills training programme for people with autism in Ernakulam
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Headlines July 17, 2019 Death toll rises, lakhs left homeless in Assam floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News