Free, battery car service started for elderly & disabled people in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu
March 28, 2018
The district administration of Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu has started a free, battery-operated, four-wheeler service from the Kokkirakulam bus stop to the Tirunelveli Collectorate. This is to help disabled people and the elderly.
The distance is only about 500 meters, but District Collector Sandeep Nanduri said it would be of great help to people who find it hard to come to the Collectorate in the heavy traffic.
Every Monday, about 1,200 people come to the Collectorate for the weekly grievances meeting. On other days of the week, more than 200 people come. Many of them include elderly and disabled people.
On one occasion, a well-to-do person noticed the difficulties faced by the disabled people and elderly and anonymously donated Rs 5.5 lakh to buy, operate, and maintain a battery-operated car for their benefit.
The car will initially be operated on Mondays and for the special grievances meeting for disabled people. Based on the response, the service may be extended to other days of the week.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Headlines April 13, 2019 Black Hole image creator is a media star
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News