6 disabled men from Una start canteen at Himachal Pradesh government office
Six disabled youngsters from Una in Himachal Pradesh have set up a canteen, with the support of the local district administration. The canteen is in the campus of the Mini-Secretariat in Una. The profits will be shared by the young men.
Out of the six men, two are deaf, two are blind, while the rest have mobility impairment. The canteen is the brainchild of the District Collector, Vikas Labroo. Labroo says he believes in empowering disabled people, and not merely provide them with grants.
The idea of starting a canteen had been in the works for a while. Labroo consulted Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur, who gave a go ahead for the project.
Manoj Kumar, who is blind, is a cook at the canteen. He is happy that he has a regular livelihood. All the six disabled men here underwent training at the Indian Hotel Management Institute in Kufri. A 45-day course in catering, food and beverage preparation, and housekeeping was given to them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
December 12, 2018
- Learn sign language over a cuppa at this Jodhpur cafe
December 11, 2018
- Aarambh brings opportunities to disabled women, to train & to work
December 6, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Deaf people are gathering at Delhi's Jantar Mantar for a common cause
- Accessibility December 6, 2018 Kerala government reserves 4% jobs for disabled people in government-aided educational institutions
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Resolving 26/11 Mumbai attacks is in Pakistan's interest, says Imran Khan
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Disability Heroes - Prajith Jaipal is out to create a new India, accessible & barrier-free
- Employment December 12, 2018 Visual impairment is no barrier to a successful career. Here are some tips
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Headlines December 6, 2018 Vijay Mallya offers to pay 100% loans back to the banks
- Get-hooked December 6, 2018 Disability Heroes - Neha Agarwal is opening corporate India’s eyes to the AB-ility in disability
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked December 8, 2018