6 disabled men from Una start canteen at Himachal Pradesh government office
March 29, 2018
Six disabled youngsters from Una in Himachal Pradesh have set up a canteen, with the support of the local district administration. The canteen is in the campus of the Mini-Secretariat in Una. The profits will be shared by the young men.
Out of the six men, two are deaf, two are blind, while the rest have mobility impairment. The canteen is the brainchild of the District Collector, Vikas Labroo. Labroo says he believes in empowering disabled people, and not merely provide them with grants.
The idea of starting a canteen had been in the works for a while. Labroo consulted Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur, who gave a go ahead for the project.
Manoj Kumar, who is blind, is a cook at the canteen. He is happy that he has a regular livelihood. All the six disabled men here underwent training at the Indian Hotel Management Institute in Kufri. A 45-day course in catering, food and beverage preparation, and housekeeping was given to them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
June 20, 2019
- SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
June 17, 2019
- Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
June 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 These school kids show all the potential of making it big in the world of art
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News