6 disabled men from Una start canteen at Himachal Pradesh government office
Six disabled youngsters from Una in Himachal Pradesh have set up a canteen, with the support of the local district administration. The canteen is in the campus of the Mini-Secretariat in Una. The profits will be shared by the young men.
Out of the six men, two are deaf, two are blind, while the rest have mobility impairment. The canteen is the brainchild of the District Collector, Vikas Labroo. Labroo says he believes in empowering disabled people, and not merely provide them with grants.
The idea of starting a canteen had been in the works for a while. Labroo consulted Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur, who gave a go ahead for the project.
Manoj Kumar, who is blind, is a cook at the canteen. He is happy that he has a regular livelihood. All the six disabled men here underwent training at the Indian Hotel Management Institute in Kufri. A 45-day course in catering, food and beverage preparation, and housekeeping was given to them.
Watch in Sign Language
- Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
February 10, 2019
- Workshop on disability confidence at the workplace sees frank exchange of ideas
February 4, 2019
- Latest study points out only 36% of disabled people in India are employed
February 4, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 12, 2019 Workshop on Advancing Your Interpreting Skills
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Technology February 14, 2019 Tobii Dynavox eye tracker is opening new world to little Ganga & others like her
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Help pours in for families of slain CRPF soldiers
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines February 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News