6 disabled men from Una start canteen at Himachal Pradesh government office
March 29, 2018
Six disabled youngsters from Una in Himachal Pradesh have set up a canteen, with the support of the local district administration. The canteen is in the campus of the Mini-Secretariat in Una. The profits will be shared by the young men.
Out of the six men, two are deaf, two are blind, while the rest have mobility impairment. The canteen is the brainchild of the District Collector, Vikas Labroo. Labroo says he believes in empowering disabled people, and not merely provide them with grants.
The idea of starting a canteen had been in the works for a while. Labroo consulted Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur, who gave a go ahead for the project.
Manoj Kumar, who is blind, is a cook at the canteen. He is happy that he has a regular livelihood. All the six disabled men here underwent training at the Indian Hotel Management Institute in Kufri. A 45-day course in catering, food and beverage preparation, and housekeeping was given to them.
Watch in Sign Language
- #AutismPower - SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
April 4, 2019
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Events April 15, 2019 Accessible Bowling
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Pandya, Rahul fined for sexist comments on TV show
- Get-hooked April 17, 2019 Karnataka candidate Ramanjinappa has an inclusive mission
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines April 14, 2019
Headlines April 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News