Organizers of Deaf Cricket League forced to take gold loans for giving away prizes
The third edition of the Usha Deaf Cricket League is going on in Ludhiana in Punjab. In a country where cricket is considered important, the event is not getting any attention from the public.
To make things worse, the organizers at Punjab Cricket Association for the Deaf are taking gold loans to meet the basic requirements of the match.
Padam Passi, General Secretary of the Punjab Cricket Association for the Deaf, said that he had to get a loan using his own gold jewelry to buy a car for the best player of the match.
There are players from Nepal and Bangladesh taking part in the cricket league, yet the government has not extended any support.
The last three editions of the cricket league were held after organizers received monetary help from sponsors.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Events February 14, 2019 Ghazal Nite
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India’s fastest train
- Education February 19, 2019 The Gati initiative is enabling mainstream Mumbai schools to provide high quality, inclusive education
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Disabled people are routine targets of abuse by Indian politicians despite laws banning this
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News