Deaf leaders NGO in Coimbatore conducts road safety awareness campaign
March 30, 2018
Members of a Coimbatore-based NGO called Deaf Leaders Foundation (DLF), held a road safety awareness campaign through sign language and mime at five places in Coimbatore this week.
Over 10 deaf and hard of hearing members of DLF acted out road safety messages with their faces painted white. They were present at Upplipalayam Signal on Avinashi Road, Post Office Signal in D.B. Road in R.S. Puram, Mettupalayam Road Signal, Near Ganga Hospital and Airport Road Signal at Avinashi Road from 9 AM to 6 PM.
The campaign was launched by inaugurated by the Coimbatore City Police Commissioner K Periaiah.
The DLF members advised drivers to wear helmets, not to cross the stop line at signals, not to use mobile phones while driving, avoid drunk driving, and obey traffic rules. They also held placards and banners carrying road safety awareness messages.
The awareness programme was organized in partnership with the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The DLF plans to launch its own website India Deaf News this week during a two-day south India zonal awareness workshop on Sustainable inclusive sign language.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 11, 2019 Higher chances of peace with India if Modi wins: Imran Khan
- Events April 11, 2019 Sibling Gathering
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Headlines April 11, 2019 Rahul Gandhi files nomination from Amethi
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News