Deaf leaders NGO in Coimbatore conducts road safety awareness campaign
Members of a Coimbatore-based NGO called Deaf Leaders Foundation (DLF), held a road safety awareness campaign through sign language and mime at five places in Coimbatore this week.
Over 10 deaf and hard of hearing members of DLF acted out road safety messages with their faces painted white. They were present at Upplipalayam Signal on Avinashi Road, Post Office Signal in D.B. Road in R.S. Puram, Mettupalayam Road Signal, Near Ganga Hospital and Airport Road Signal at Avinashi Road from 9 AM to 6 PM.
The campaign was launched by inaugurated by the Coimbatore City Police Commissioner K Periaiah.
The DLF members advised drivers to wear helmets, not to cross the stop line at signals, not to use mobile phones while driving, avoid drunk driving, and obey traffic rules. They also held placards and banners carrying road safety awareness messages.
The awareness programme was organized in partnership with the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The DLF plans to launch its own website India Deaf News this week during a two-day south India zonal awareness workshop on Sustainable inclusive sign language.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Parasports February 17, 2019 Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News