Deaf leaders NGO in Coimbatore conducts road safety awareness campaign
Members of a Coimbatore-based NGO called Deaf Leaders Foundation (DLF), held a road safety awareness campaign through sign language and mime at five places in Coimbatore this week.
Over 10 deaf and hard of hearing members of DLF acted out road safety messages with their faces painted white. They were present at Upplipalayam Signal on Avinashi Road, Post Office Signal in D.B. Road in R.S. Puram, Mettupalayam Road Signal, Near Ganga Hospital and Airport Road Signal at Avinashi Road from 9 AM to 6 PM.
The campaign was launched by inaugurated by the Coimbatore City Police Commissioner K Periaiah.
The DLF members advised drivers to wear helmets, not to cross the stop line at signals, not to use mobile phones while driving, avoid drunk driving, and obey traffic rules. They also held placards and banners carrying road safety awareness messages.
The awareness programme was organized in partnership with the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The DLF plans to launch its own website India Deaf News this week during a two-day south India zonal awareness workshop on Sustainable inclusive sign language.
Watch in Sign Language
- Stay healthy & fit in a wheelchair. Here's how
December 9, 2018
- These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
December 9, 2018
- Deaf people are going to come together at Jantar Mantar this December for many reasons
December 8, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 3, 2018 Welcome initiatives that shine a light on need for sexuality education for disabled people
- Employment December 6, 2018 Aarambh brings opportunities to disabled women, to train & to work
- Headlines December 7, 2018 Section 144 extended in Sabarimala till 8 December
- Get-hooked December 3, 2018 Neeraj George’s 300-km ride is all about determination and courage
- Accessibility December 4, 2018 Chennai's iconic Marina Beach turns accessible for two days
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Intellectual Disability
- Accessibility December 7, 2018 Come June 2019, Kolkata's historic Victoria Memorial promises to re-open in an accessible avatar
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Wedding preparations of Mukesh Ambani's daughter begin
- Headlines December 5, 2018 Australian fans criticize local media for insulting Indian cricketers
- Get-hooked December 4, 2018 Disability Heroes - Virali Modi is open & proud about her disability
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News