How to behave with a family that has a disabled child
Parents of children with disability face every day challenges and stress like any other parents. For them it is vital to take care of the disabled child and also to lead their lives.
At times it is not clear for other people to understand how to act or talk with a disabled child and their families.
Here are some thoughts shared by a parent about how to behave with a family that has a disabled child.
It is alright for another child to stare at a disabled child that looks different. Instead of asking your child to look away, parents can encourage their kids to wave or even smile at the child with disability.
Other parents may avoid socializing with a family that has a disabled kid. They may be doing so due to lack of awareness about the disability or how to deal with it.
It is best to discuss this with the disabled child’s parent. If you are organizing a party, you can ask the parents what would suit them. Humans have a natural need to socialize and interact and that should not be stopped due to disability.
Do not feel over sympathetic or focus on the disability alone. You can talk about general things and be sensitive about the child without being too dramatic.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Annual Rendezvous event of Headway Foundation is an occasion to honour disabled achievers
- Accessibility February 20, 2019 Kochi Metro gets thumbs up for accessibility features
- Headlines February 20, 2019 India Premier League season starts 23 March
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Court to Anil Ambani - Pay dues or go to jail
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News