How to behave with a family that has a disabled child
March 31, 2018
Parents of children with disability face every day challenges and stress like any other parents. For them it is vital to take care of the disabled child and also to lead their lives.
At times it is not clear for other people to understand how to act or talk with a disabled child and their families.
Here are some thoughts shared by a parent about how to behave with a family that has a disabled child.
It is alright for another child to stare at a disabled child that looks different. Instead of asking your child to look away, parents can encourage their kids to wave or even smile at the child with disability.
Other parents may avoid socializing with a family that has a disabled kid. They may be doing so due to lack of awareness about the disability or how to deal with it.
It is best to discuss this with the disabled child's parent. If you are organizing a party, you can ask the parents what would suit them. Humans have a natural need to socialize and interact and that should not be stopped due to disability.
Do not feel over sympathetic or focus on the disability alone. You can talk about general things and be sensitive about the child without being too dramatic.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Parasports June 26, 2019 Ireland win puts para shuttler Pramod Bhagat among contenders for Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Headlines June 22, 2019 India deploys warships in view of US-Iran conflict
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Children feel like superheroes in this lovely photoshoot initiative started by American couple
- Parasports June 20, 2019 Sonakshi Sinha likely to play the part of Paralympian Deepa Malik
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News