Kochi celebrates World Autism Awareness Day with a Buddy Walk
Over 300 people took part in a Buddy Walk that was held to create awareness about autism ahead of World Autism Awareness Day in Kochi in Kerala.
The walk was organized by Rotary Cochin East in partnership with The National Trust and the Kerala government's Social Justice Department.
Students with autism from different schools in Kochi took part, along with their parents and teachers. Also present were former minister K. V Thomas, actor Rajisha Vijayan, and the Kochi Sub Collector Suhas S. There were over 50 volunteers from the Rotary Club present as well to ensure that the walk went without any hitches.
It was wonderful to see so many students present. I want to thank all the parents and teachers who are present. As far as I am concerned, the children are the real super heroes! - Rajisha Vijayan, Malayalam film actor
The Buddy Walk began with a prayer sung by disabled students of the Sraddha Special School. The event was held a few days ahead of World Autism Awareness Day so that the summer vacations of the students would not be disturbed.
This is the first time that such a walk was held by the Rotary Club of Cochin East. Organizers hope to make such events a regular feature to create greater awareness about autism.
Watch in Sign Language
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
- 21 disabilities under RPWD 2016 - Hearing Impairment - Deaf and hard of hearing
December 15, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Diabetes-related eye diseases is the leading cause of blindness in India, says study
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Headlines December 11, 2018 India celebrates first Test win in Australia in 10 years
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some benefits of yoga for children with autism
- Parasports December 16, 2018 Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018