Kochi celebrates World Autism Awareness Day with a Buddy Walk
April 1, 2018
Over 300 people took part in a Buddy Walk that was held to create awareness about autism ahead of World Autism Awareness Day in Kochi in Kerala.
The walk was organized by Rotary Cochin East in partnership with The National Trust and the Kerala government's Social Justice Department.
Students with autism from different schools in Kochi took part, along with their parents and teachers. Also present were former minister K. V Thomas, actor Rajisha Vijayan, and the Kochi Sub Collector Suhas S. There were over 50 volunteers from the Rotary Club present as well to ensure that the walk went without any hitches.
It was wonderful to see so many students present. I want to thank all the parents and teachers who are present. As far as I am concerned, the children are the real super heroes! - Rajisha Vijayan, Malayalam film actor
The Buddy Walk began with a prayer sung by disabled students of the Sraddha Special School. The event was held a few days ahead of World Autism Awareness Day so that the summer vacations of the students would not be disturbed.
This is the first time that such a walk was held by the Rotary Club of Cochin East. Organizers hope to make such events a regular feature to create greater awareness about autism.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Bethany Society Shillong are champs at the 4th national blind football tournament
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Some tips for people with disabilities to stay fit & healthy
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 A session on managing your own career for people with visual impairments
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 'Mental hai kya': Sensational & STIGMA MULTIPLIES? - My take by Dr Harish Shetty
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 22, 2019 #AutismPower - Arun Prasad inspires young people with autism to live life independently
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News