Some Bollywood films that have portrayed autism
April 2, 2018
Autism is a disorder that begins in early childhood and stays throughout adulthood. It affects a person's ability to communicate with others. A person with autism may find it hard to make eye contact, engage in repetitive behavior, remain aloof, and interact only if they need to fulfil certain specific goals.
In India, cases of autism have been rising. Currently, 10 million people in India are living with autism spectrum disorder.
However, awareness about autism spectrum disorder is very low. Most people's understanding of the disorder is rather limited. Many Bollywood films have tried to create awareness by exploring the topic in films. Here are three movies that have depicted autism.
In the film, Priyanka Chopra plays the part of Jhilmil, a young autistic girl with autism. To prepare for the role, Priyanka studied children with autism and their behavior thoroughly. She was appreciated for her efforts and was approached by the Forum of Autism (FFA) to become the face of the organization.
Anil Kapoor's character in the 2008 movie Yuuvraj is supposed to have He plays a musical genius Gyanesh in the movie who. The movie is loosely based on the Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman starrer Rain Man, where the latter plays the role of a genius with autism.
My Name is Khan
Shah Rukh Khan's character in this film is said to have Asperger's syndrome and not autism. Asperger's syndrome is considered a part of Autism Spectrum Disorder. It's a milder form of autism. SRKS plays the role of Rizwan Khan, a man who has impaired social skills, but with a special ability to repair things.
Bollywood has played a big role in creating awareness about rare disorders in recent years, such as Tourette syndrome and cerebral palsy through Hichki and Margarita with a Straw. Given the influence it has on people, more movies about disorders such as autism will help focus attention on this serious topic and create more awareness about autism in India.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Second voting phase-Key points
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Dialogue in the Dark session at Gujarat National Law University triggers important conversations
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 18, 2019 Climb With ABBF
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News