Beaches & tourist spots in Kozhikode in Kerala become disabled-friendly
April 2, 2018
The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) in Kozhikode in Kerala is planning to build wheelchair-friendly entrances at major tourism destinations in the city. The first entrance will be on the Kozhikode beach.
Exclusive parking slots for vehicles driven by disabled people will also be set up. The spaces will be such that it will be easy for vehicles to enter and to exit. Guards will be posted there.
Different disability rights organizations have been demanding wheelchair-friendly entrances on the South beach, Kozhikode beach, Vellayil beach, and Butt Road beach.
Disabled people say they have been asking for these facilities for a long time. Prajith Jaipal, who is a quadriplegic living on Kozhikode, met district administrators recently to push for this.
The Social Justice Department had come up with a similar project under the Compassionate Kozhikode Initiative. However, the project failed due to lack of funds.
The Tourism Department hopes that the disabled-friendly facilities at tourism spots will also attract foreign tourists. Kerala gets around 1.3 crore domestic tourists and 10.7 lakh international tourists every year. Of this, 10% are disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Rahul Gandhi criticised for mocking Dog Squad yoga picture
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 New study highlights importance of educating & training for children with autism
- Headlines June 26, 2019 11 arrested in Jharkhand lynching case
- Headlines June 27, 2019 Father pleads guilty in death of adoptive disabled child
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News