Beaches & tourist spots in Kozhikode in Kerala become disabled-friendly
April 2, 2018
The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) in Kozhikode in Kerala is planning to build wheelchair-friendly entrances at major tourism destinations in the city. The first entrance will be on the Kozhikode beach.
Exclusive parking slots for vehicles driven by disabled people will also be set up. The spaces will be such that it will be easy for vehicles to enter and to exit. Guards will be posted there.
Different disability rights organizations have been demanding wheelchair-friendly entrances on the South beach, Kozhikode beach, Vellayil beach, and Butt Road beach.
Disabled people say they have been asking for these facilities for a long time. Prajith Jaipal, who is a quadriplegic living on Kozhikode, met district administrators recently to push for this.
The Social Justice Department had come up with a similar project under the Compassionate Kozhikode Initiative. However, the project failed due to lack of funds.
The Tourism Department hopes that the disabled-friendly facilities at tourism spots will also attract foreign tourists. Kerala gets around 1.3 crore domestic tourists and 10.7 lakh international tourists every year. Of this, 10% are disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Google bans TikTok in India
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Headlines April 15, 2019 World’s largest plane takes off successfully
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News