Beaches & tourist spots in Kozhikode in Kerala become disabled-friendly
The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) in Kozhikode in Kerala is planning to build wheelchair-friendly entrances at major tourism destinations in the city. The first entrance will be on the Kozhikode beach.
Exclusive parking slots for vehicles driven by disabled people will also be set up. The spaces will be such that it will be easy for vehicles to enter and to exit. Guards will be posted there.
Different disability rights organizations have been demanding wheelchair-friendly entrances on the South beach, Kozhikode beach, Vellayil beach, and Butt Road beach.
Disabled people say they have been asking for these facilities for a long time. Prajith Jaipal, who is a quadriplegic living on Kozhikode, met district administrators recently to push for this.
The Social Justice Department had come up with a similar project under the Compassionate Kozhikode Initiative. However, the project failed due to lack of funds.
The Tourism Department hopes that the disabled-friendly facilities at tourism spots will also attract foreign tourists. Kerala gets around 1.3 crore domestic tourists and 10.7 lakh international tourists every year. Of this, 10% are disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Headlines October 20, 2018 59 people dead as train runs them over in Amritsar
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Amitabh Bachchan to repay loan worth ₹5.5 crore for 850 farmers
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Check out these fun outings for children with autism
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 15, 2018
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News