Beaches & tourist spots in Kozhikode in Kerala become disabled-friendly
The District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) in Kozhikode in Kerala is planning to build wheelchair-friendly entrances at major tourism destinations in the city. The first entrance will be on the Kozhikode beach.
Exclusive parking slots for vehicles driven by disabled people will also be set up. The spaces will be such that it will be easy for vehicles to enter and to exit. Guards will be posted there.
Different disability rights organizations have been demanding wheelchair-friendly entrances on the South beach, Kozhikode beach, Vellayil beach, and Butt Road beach.
Disabled people say they have been asking for these facilities for a long time. Prajith Jaipal, who is a quadriplegic living on Kozhikode, met district administrators recently to push for this.
The Social Justice Department had come up with a similar project under the Compassionate Kozhikode Initiative. However, the project failed due to lack of funds.
The Tourism Department hopes that the disabled-friendly facilities at tourism spots will also attract foreign tourists. Kerala gets around 1.3 crore domestic tourists and 10.7 lakh international tourists every year. Of this, 10% are disabled people.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 20, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked February 7, 2019