Eman Sulaeman, the foot-less goalkeeper has the world going wild over his reflexes
When Eman Sulaeman from Indonesia told his parents he wanted to play football, they were worried people would mock their son. Eman was born with no feet and one full leg.
Twenty years later, this 30-year-old Indonesian goalkeeper is driving the crowds at home and abroad wild with his moves, which have been called . He is also sending out a powerful message about people with disabilities.
Sulaeman's fans recently came out in full strength to cheer him at a local court for futsal. This is a five-a-side game played on a hard pitch with hockey-sized goals.
They took pictures as Sulaeman protected his net by shifting quickly on stumps and his one leg.
He had to work very hard to get where he is. He spent a long time learning to walk in balance before he was able to kick the ball.
All those efforts paid off. Sulaeman's friends asked him to join the local football team while he was studying electronic engineering.
In 2016, he joined the Indonesian team at the Homeless World Cup in Glasgow. He was an instant sensation and was named the competition's best goalkeeper.
Watch in Sign Language
- Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
October 18, 2018
- India beat Sri Lanka to win T20 series
October 18, 2018
- Deepak Malik's century gives India lead against Sri Lanka in Blind Cricket Twenty20 series
October 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 High time to bid goodbye to idioms that mock the disabled community
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India win Blind Cricket Tri Series final, beat Sri Lanka by 10 wickets
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Abhyan Centre steps in to lend a hand to disabled teenagers
- Accessibility October 15, 2018 Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Headlines October 14, 2018 Industry 4.0 will create jobs, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Get-hooked October 14, 2018 Visually impaired girls perfomed garba on song written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Accessibility October 13, 2018 Feedback sought on issues faced by visually impaired people while using PayTM
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports October 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News