Eman Sulaeman, the foot-less goalkeeper has the world going wild over his reflexes
When Eman Sulaeman from Indonesia told his parents he wanted to play football, they were worried people would mock their son. Eman was born with no feet and one full leg.
Twenty years later, this 30-year-old Indonesian goalkeeper is driving the crowds at home and abroad wild with his moves, which have been called . He is also sending out a powerful message about people with disabilities.
Sulaeman's fans recently came out in full strength to cheer him at a local court for futsal. This is a five-a-side game played on a hard pitch with hockey-sized goals.
They took pictures as Sulaeman protected his net by shifting quickly on stumps and his one leg.
He had to work very hard to get where he is. He spent a long time learning to walk in balance before he was able to kick the ball.
All those efforts paid off. Sulaeman's friends asked him to join the local football team while he was studying electronic engineering.
In 2016, he joined the Indonesian team at the Homeless World Cup in Glasgow. He was an instant sensation and was named the competition's best goalkeeper.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 15, 2019 Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Accessibility February 19, 2019 Kerala government launches projects to empower visually impaired people
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Trump tells India & Pakistan to get along
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Infosys Foundation announces Rs 10 lakh to families of martyrs of Pulwama attack
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News