Some points to consider when hosting a guest with autism
April 6, 2018
Many people with autism are uncomfortable in social set ups. They prefer not to make small talk and to be among people they know well.
Loud noises, unexpected change in schedule, and large crowds can make them nervous and panicky.
So, while hosting a child or an adult with autism, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- Talk to the parents or family members of the guest to understand what they like and dislike, be it in terms of food, music, or lights. Surfaces, music, flavors, and other small things can be arranged according to this information.
- Make sure to set up a quiet area away from the guests where the child or adult with autism can go to take a break.
The quiet room works wonders and can help an person with autism feel calm and relaxed if the gathering becomes overwhelming for them.
- Share the schedule for the evening well ahead with the person accompanying the guest to help them manage their outing with ease.
- A set pattern or routine is important for a person with autism. Slight changes can make them feel uncomfortable.
- Tell the parents about what to expect at the party, be it the food, music, or activities.
- This way they can prepare the child with autism for the upcoming outing.
- Do not take it personally if the guest does not seem to enjoy the party and wishes to leave early.
- They cannot help it and it still means a lot to them that they were invited.
- Do not feel overanxious or sensitive about the guest.
- The best thing to do is to behave normally and welcome him or her with a smile.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Understanding Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Parasports March 20, 2019 India on a roll at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 #WonderWoman - Priya Bhargav embodies the warrior spirit in many ways
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 Madras High Court increases aid for disabled people under assistance scheme by 25%
- Events March 14, 2019 Beat It! Drums and Mridangam Show
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News