Some points to consider when hosting a guest with autism
Many people with autism are uncomfortable in social set ups. They prefer not to make small talk and to be among people they know well.
Loud noises, unexpected change in schedule, and large crowds can make them nervous and panicky.
So, while hosting a child or an adult with autism, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- Talk to the parents or family members of the guest to understand what they like and dislike, be it in terms of food, music, or lights. Surfaces, music, flavors, and other small things can be arranged according to this information.
- Make sure to set up a quiet area away from the guests where the child or adult with autism can go to take a break.
The quiet room works wonders and can help an person with autism feel calm and relaxed if the gathering becomes overwhelming for them.
- Share the schedule for the evening well ahead with the person accompanying the guest to help them manage their outing with ease.
- A set pattern or routine is important for a person with autism. Slight changes can make them feel uncomfortable.
- Tell the parents about what to expect at the party, be it the food, music, or activities.
- This way they can prepare the child with autism for the upcoming outing.
- Do not take it personally if the guest does not seem to enjoy the party and wishes to leave early.
- They cannot help it and it still means a lot to them that they were invited.
- Do not feel overanxious or sensitive about the guest.
- The best thing to do is to behave normally and welcome him or her with a smile.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 ALFAA centre for people with autism has a story of remarkable spirit behind it
- Get-hooked October 19, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO looks to nature to improve the wellbeing of disabled kids
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Protests in Sabarimala continues on fourth day
- Headlines October 21, 2018 Bollywood celebrity manager accused in #MeToo movement attempts suicide
- Headlines October 22, 2018 Three more women denied entry into Sabarimala
- Accessibility October 22, 2018 Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
- Headlines October 17, 2018 Congress loses majority in Goa as 2 MLAs join BJP
- Parasports October 22, 2018 India take on Sri Lanka in 5th & final match of T20 blind cricket series today
- Headlines October 20, 2018 Sabrimalai temple priests continue to block women's entry into temple
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Priyanka Chopra to marry later this year, most likely in Rajasthan
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 18, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News