Some points to consider when hosting a guest with autism
April 6, 2018
Many people with autism are uncomfortable in social set ups. They prefer not to make small talk and to be among people they know well.
Loud noises, unexpected change in schedule, and large crowds can make them nervous and panicky.
So, while hosting a child or an adult with autism, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- Talk to the parents or family members of the guest to understand what they like and dislike, be it in terms of food, music, or lights. Surfaces, music, flavors, and other small things can be arranged according to this information.
- Make sure to set up a quiet area away from the guests where the child or adult with autism can go to take a break.
The quiet room works wonders and can help an person with autism feel calm and relaxed if the gathering becomes overwhelming for them.
- Share the schedule for the evening well ahead with the person accompanying the guest to help them manage their outing with ease.
- A set pattern or routine is important for a person with autism. Slight changes can make them feel uncomfortable.
- Tell the parents about what to expect at the party, be it the food, music, or activities.
- This way they can prepare the child with autism for the upcoming outing.
- Do not take it personally if the guest does not seem to enjoy the party and wishes to leave early.
- They cannot help it and it still means a lot to them that they were invited.
- Do not feel overanxious or sensitive about the guest.
- The best thing to do is to behave normally and welcome him or her with a smile.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Security hiked for Indian cricket team
- Education August 24, 2019 CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 Understanding Teaching Nonverbal Children
- Employment August 26, 2019 Sample these wholesome & delicious cookies baked by people with Down syndrome at Satya Bakery
- Accessibility August 25, 2019 Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Accessibility August 19, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
- Events August 22, 2019 Creative Pattern Workshop For Individuals with Special Needs
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News