Some points to consider when hosting a guest with autism
April 6, 2018
Many people with autism are uncomfortable in social set ups. They prefer not to make small talk and to be among people they know well.
Loud noises, unexpected change in schedule, and large crowds can make them nervous and panicky.
So, while hosting a child or an adult with autism, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- Talk to the parents or family members of the guest to understand what they like and dislike, be it in terms of food, music, or lights. Surfaces, music, flavors, and other small things can be arranged according to this information.
- Make sure to set up a quiet area away from the guests where the child or adult with autism can go to take a break.
The quiet room works wonders and can help an person with autism feel calm and relaxed if the gathering becomes overwhelming for them.
- Share the schedule for the evening well ahead with the person accompanying the guest to help them manage their outing with ease.
- A set pattern or routine is important for a person with autism. Slight changes can make them feel uncomfortable.
- Tell the parents about what to expect at the party, be it the food, music, or activities.
- This way they can prepare the child with autism for the upcoming outing.
- Do not take it personally if the guest does not seem to enjoy the party and wishes to leave early.
- They cannot help it and it still means a lot to them that they were invited.
- Do not feel overanxious or sensitive about the guest.
- The best thing to do is to behave normally and welcome him or her with a smile.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Sensex witness steep high after exit poll results
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Headlines May 22, 2019 PM Modi pays tribute to Rajiv Gandhi on death anniversary
- Headlines May 23, 2019 NaMo all the way, BJP-led alliance returns with thumping majority
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Video of physically disabled Zomato delivery boy wins hearts on social media
- Events May 16, 2019 Na Main Na Hain
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News