Some points to consider when hosting a guest with autism
Many people with autism are uncomfortable in social set ups. They prefer not to make small talk and to be among people they know well.
Loud noises, unexpected change in schedule, and large crowds can make them nervous and panicky.
So, while hosting a child or an adult with autism, there are some important things to keep in mind.
- Talk to the parents or family members of the guest to understand what they like and dislike, be it in terms of food, music, or lights. Surfaces, music, flavors, and other small things can be arranged according to this information.
- Make sure to set up a quiet area away from the guests where the child or adult with autism can go to take a break.
The quiet room works wonders and can help an person with autism feel calm and relaxed if the gathering becomes overwhelming for them.
- Share the schedule for the evening well ahead with the person accompanying the guest to help them manage their outing with ease.
- A set pattern or routine is important for a person with autism. Slight changes can make them feel uncomfortable.
- Tell the parents about what to expect at the party, be it the food, music, or activities.
- This way they can prepare the child with autism for the upcoming outing.
- Do not take it personally if the guest does not seem to enjoy the party and wishes to leave early.
- They cannot help it and it still means a lot to them that they were invited.
- Do not feel overanxious or sensitive about the guest.
- The best thing to do is to behave normally and welcome him or her with a smile.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some common misconceptions about Braille
January 24, 2019
- Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
January 23, 2019
- The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Sports are ideal for children with autism. Here is how.
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Events January 23, 2019 State Level Workshop on Sustainable Development & Accessible Empowerment of Deaf
- Headlines January 24, 2019 Piyush Goyal takes charge of finance
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Headlines January 21, 2019 PM launches National Museum of Indian Cinema
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Bengaluru NGOs show a large heart with donations for disabled, homeless people
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News