Dr Stephen Hawking's parting act of kindness - an Easter meal for the homeless
April 5, 2018
One of Dr Stephen Hawking's final acts of kindness has moved many people to tears. The theoretical physicist paid for a grand Easter meal for hundreds of homeless and needy people in the city of Cambridge, where he lived.
The funeral of the renowned scientist, who died on 14 March 2018 at the age of 76 took place in Cambridge last week, just a day before Easter. On the same day, a donation from his family helped to fund an Easter lunch at the Wesley Methodist Church.
Flowers were left on all the tables with a note that read:
Today's lunch is a gift from Stephen. From the Hawking family.
Everyone present for the lunch gave Dr Hawking a little cheer before they sat down to eat. About 50 people were present.
Lucy Hawking, the daughter of Dr Hawking, had contacted the NGO and expressed the wish to make a donation.
The generous donation will help provide hundreds of meals for senior citizens, refugees, people with mental health issues, the long-term unemployed, and the homeless.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 People with disabilities must consider issues not propaganda - Dr B S Patil & Monika S Kshatriya
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 16, 2019 Yogi, Mayawati banned by ECI
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Technology April 18, 2019 #TechThursdays - Smartphone-based therapy & hearing aid could prove a game changer for the deaf community
- Headlines April 15, 2019 Elections 2019 - Shatrughan Sinha wants to fight PM Modi
- Accessibility April 17, 2019 Election Commission's PwD App has a welcome update for visually impaired voters
- Accessibility April 15, 2019 Swarga Foundation workshop at Coimbatore airport builds sensitivity towards needs of disabled travelers
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News