Scientists develop new solution for treating hearing loss
April 6, 2018
Scientists in the United States are developing a new hearing aid that they claim will restore hearing in people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
This new aid will be kept in the inner ear, and will help repair damaged cells that cause hearing loss. This new aid has been developed by scientists at the University of Southern California as well as and Harvard University.
There are various factors that leads to loss of hearing, mainly age and exposure to noise. This leads to the breakdown of hair cells inside the ears.
Neurons that transmit noise to the brain are also damaged due to extreme noise or old age. Since ears are filled with fluid, any drug cannot be used as it will be washed away. That is why scientists decided to work on a new solution.
Until now, the solution has only been tried out in mice. But scientists are sure that they are on the right path, and that is can be used on humans as well. They say the solution brings new hope for people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
- 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
August 21, 2019
- Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
August 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Education August 21, 2019 Happy Hands School is enabling deaf children in rural Odisha to learn in sign language
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 20, 2019 Primary schools reopen in J&K
- Get-Hooked August 16, 2019 Kuldeep Devendra Rawal wants to be a change maker using the power of music
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News