Scientists develop new solution for treating hearing loss
Scientists in the United States are developing a new hearing aid that they claim will restore hearing in people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
This new aid will be kept in the inner ear, and will help repair damaged cells that cause hearing loss. This new aid has been developed by scientists at the University of Southern California as well as and Harvard University.
There are various factors that leads to loss of hearing, mainly age and exposure to noise. This leads to the breakdown of hair cells inside the ears.
Neurons that transmit noise to the brain are also damaged due to extreme noise or old age. Since ears are filled with fluid, any drug cannot be used as it will be washed away. That is why scientists decided to work on a new solution.
Until now, the solution has only been tried out in mice. But scientists are sure that they are on the right path, and that is can be used on humans as well. They say the solution brings new hope for people who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Watch in Sign Language
- Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
January 22, 2019
- Workshop on children with ADHD, know more
January 22, 2019
- Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
January 21, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
- Events January 18, 2019 Inclusive Zumba
- Headlines January 17, 2019 India's D Gukesh is world’s 2nd youngest chess grandmaster
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Find a life partner at this disability matrimonial event
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
- Get-hooked January 20, 2019 Understanding Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Get-hooked January 16, 2019 Disabled people in Goa accuse authorities of demanding full body pictures for disability certificates
- Events January 17, 2019 India Art Festival- IAF
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News