Maharashtra government seeks guidelines for setting up medical board for disabled medical students
April 6, 2018
The Directorate of Medical Education and Research (DMER) in Maharashtra has written to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) in New Delhi, asking about guidelines for setting up a special medical board.
This is as per the provisions in Right of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
The Maharashtra government gave this information to the Bombay High Court. The government says a special medical board will enable it to assess the disability of PWD (persons with disabilities) candidates, seeking admission to medical post graduate courses in 2018-2019.
The court will hear the matter after one week.
In a letter to the court, DMER said that candidates with 21 disabilities are finding it hard to get disability certificates from the four centers authorized by the Medical Counseling Committee in New Delhi.
The DMER has requested the DGHS in New Delhi, to allow them to fill the seats reserved for disabled candidates during the second round of state counseling for post graduate medical courses.
A medical student, Dr Faisal Ahmed Juned Pokar from Bhiwandi, who has an intellectual disability, had approached the court questioning the state government's decision to appoint the All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AIIPMR) to assess intellectual disability for admission to postgraduate courses, under the disabled quota.
Pokar was seeking a medical certificate for his PG course, when he approached the enlisted institute for assessment of his disability at the AIIPMR.
The institute informed Pokar that their centre is authorised for assessment only for locomotor disabilities and therefore they cannot issue a certificate to a candidate with an intellectual disability.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Driving change in attitudes towards disability in Jammu-Kashmir - My Take by Dildar Ahmad Shapoo
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some effective yoga poses for wheelchair users
- Get-hooked June 24, 2019 Disabled adults experience the healing touch of animals for the first time at a therapy session
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News