Lucknow Municipal Corporation fails to meet accessibility guidelines in making toilets
April 6, 2018
The Lucknow Municipal Corporation has not been able to meet the target of toilet construction set under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
The toilets that have been made do not meet the guidelines set. They are not accessible for people with disabilities.
Reports are that the Lucknow Municipal Corporation (LMC) ignored the rules set by the central government regarding accessibility.
The structures lack basic facilities for disabled people, the elderly, and children.
The toilets do not have ramps, railings by the stairs, or low-height urinals for children.
This was even after a survey was held prior to the start of construction. So far, the LMC has built only 25 toilets. This is despite getting Rs 1.2 crore from the central government for the purpose.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 12, 2019 Frame policies to enable dignified air travel for disabled passengers, says Supreme Court
- Headlines March 15, 2019 Boeing 737 MAX 8 banned by several countries after 2nd crash in 5 months
- Events March 14, 2019 Future Planning for persons with special needs
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Disability rights rules amended for people with high support needs
- Accessibility March 17, 2019 Medical Council of India changes postgraduate admission rules only for students with locomotor disabilities
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
- Get-hooked March 12, 2019 Hyderabad-based center offers course in learning disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News