Lucknow Municipal Corporation fails to meet accessibility guidelines in making toilets
April 6, 2018
The Lucknow Municipal Corporation has not been able to meet the target of toilet construction set under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
The toilets that have been made do not meet the guidelines set. They are not accessible for people with disabilities.
Reports are that the Lucknow Municipal Corporation (LMC) ignored the rules set by the central government regarding accessibility.
The structures lack basic facilities for disabled people, the elderly, and children.
The toilets do not have ramps, railings by the stairs, or low-height urinals for children.
This was even after a survey was held prior to the start of construction. So far, the LMC has built only 25 toilets. This is despite getting Rs 1.2 crore from the central government for the purpose.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 CRPF jawan & Pulwama attack survivor feeds disabled boy in Kashmir, wins hearts
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Get-hooked May 20, 2019 'Follow your heart, not your brain to find success' - Guest column by Neelu Jindal
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 Disability rights activist Prajith Jaipal to hit the road to promote awareness
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
- Headlines May 17, 2019 Pakistani air space to remain shut for Indian flights till 30 May
- Accessibility May 17, 2019 Anuprayaas is making railway stations inclusive & accessible for visually impaired people
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News