Chennai cafe creates awareness about dyslexia with its unusually titled dishes
April 7, 2018
Through the month of April, the Writer's Cafe in Chennai will offer people meals with names like - grild chkein and grik caled.
These unusual dishes have been titled by the Madras Dyslexia Association (MDA) The MDA has taken over the menus at the restaurant, as part of an awareness campaign.
The campaign aims to show how a person with dyslexia views the world.
It also aims to show how hard it is for people with dyslexia to manage in a world that does not understand them.
People with dyslexia struggle to read and identify letter sounds during their everyday life. Their struggles are rarely understood by the general public. The campaign aims to increase public awareness.
Through April, the menu cards at the Writer's Cafe have been reworked so the alphabets are in reverse. This is one of the many challenges people with dyslexia face. There will be specialists at the cafe for two hours every day to explain to those interested what dyslexia is about.
Book readings and puppet shows will also be organized. Customers will be given bookmarks with notes on dyslexia along with the bill. There will be LED screens to display information on the condition.
The restaurant owner plans to continue the campaign for more than a month at a new branch of the cafe which will open at Tidel Park.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Get-hooked June 20, 2019 Nandavanam centre is changing lives of disabled kids with a blend of tradition & compassion
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some effective yoga poses for wheelchair users
- Employment June 20, 2019 Karnataka's popular Mitti Cafe chain, manned entirely by disabled staff, set to expand to other cities
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 Love, Marriage & Disability - couples share their stories
- Education June 19, 2019 Parents, special educators group files RTI into status of inclusive education in Kerala
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News