Chennai cafe creates awareness about dyslexia with its unusually titled dishes
April 7, 2018
Through the month of April, the Writer's Cafe in Chennai will offer people meals with names like - grild chkein and grik caled.
These unusual dishes have been titled by the Madras Dyslexia Association (MDA) The MDA has taken over the menus at the restaurant, as part of an awareness campaign.
The campaign aims to show how a person with dyslexia views the world.
It also aims to show how hard it is for people with dyslexia to manage in a world that does not understand them.
People with dyslexia struggle to read and identify letter sounds during their everyday life. Their struggles are rarely understood by the general public. The campaign aims to increase public awareness.
Through April, the menu cards at the Writer's Cafe have been reworked so the alphabets are in reverse. This is one of the many challenges people with dyslexia face. There will be specialists at the cafe for two hours every day to explain to those interested what dyslexia is about.
Book readings and puppet shows will also be organized. Customers will be given bookmarks with notes on dyslexia along with the bill. There will be LED screens to display information on the condition.
The restaurant owner plans to continue the campaign for more than a month at a new branch of the cafe which will open at Tidel Park.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Events August 14, 2019 Special Buddies Program
- Accessibility August 13, 2019 PM Modi's direction to develop app for disabled people welcomed
- Events August 14, 2019 Unity through Performing Arts
- Get-Hooked August 13, 2019 Enjoy this Independence Day with an inclusive trek at Raigad, Maharashtra
- Events August 14, 2019 Touch For Health Level 1
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Ex-minister Arun Jaitley on life support
- Events August 13, 2019 Inclusive Walkathon
- Parasports August 15, 2019 India triumph at Physical Disability World Cricket Series, will BCCI finally take note?
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News