Chennai cafe creates awareness about dyslexia with its unusually titled dishes
April 7, 2018
Through the month of April, the Writer's Cafe in Chennai will offer people meals with names like - grild chkein and grik caled.
These unusual dishes have been titled by the Madras Dyslexia Association (MDA) The MDA has taken over the menus at the restaurant, as part of an awareness campaign.
The campaign aims to show how a person with dyslexia views the world.
It also aims to show how hard it is for people with dyslexia to manage in a world that does not understand them.
People with dyslexia struggle to read and identify letter sounds during their everyday life. Their struggles are rarely understood by the general public. The campaign aims to increase public awareness.
Through April, the menu cards at the Writer's Cafe have been reworked so the alphabets are in reverse. This is one of the many challenges people with dyslexia face. There will be specialists at the cafe for two hours every day to explain to those interested what dyslexia is about.
Book readings and puppet shows will also be organized. Customers will be given bookmarks with notes on dyslexia along with the bill. There will be LED screens to display information on the condition.
The restaurant owner plans to continue the campaign for more than a month at a new branch of the cafe which will open at Tidel Park.
Watch in Sign Language
- Road to getting disability certificates filled with barriers for hemophilia patients
April 21, 2019
- Understanding Stimming
April 21, 2019
- Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
April 20, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 Notre Dame cathedral in Paris catches fire
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Jet Airways suspends all operations
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News