This paralyzed doctor does surgeries from a wheelchair!
Dr Ted Rummel is an orthopedic surgeon who does surgeries from a wheelchair. Dr Rummel, who is from the state of Missouri in the United States, was paralyzed in 2010 after a blood-filled cyst burst in his spine.
However, that has not kept him from pursuing his passion, which is to be a doctor.
After more than a year in rehabilitation, Dr Rummel came back to work. He started doing surgeries from a traditional wheelchair.
Dr Rummel credits his family and friends for their support during his difficult times. He calls his recovery a powerful experience. He performs surgeries on a stand-up wheelchair with the help of colleagues.
Dr Rummel says that every time he does a surgery, he gets a part of his life back. Initially, he would operate on certain body parts, like the hands, elbows, and knees. He could not do surgeries on shoulders.
Now he has overcome that by using a stand-up wheelchair. Clearly, there is no stopping Dr Rummel.
Watch in Sign Language
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
- Health Problems in children with Autism
December 16, 2018
- Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
December 16, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Employment December 15, 2018 Staff from schools for disabled kids protest against government apathy in Kerala
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Society attitudes are a big threat for development of children with disabilities
- Headlines December 17, 2018 Indian skipper Virat Kohli strikes 25th test hundred against Australia in style
- Events December 13, 2018 6th India International Deaf film festival 2019
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Health Problems in children with Autism
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018