Some signs that indicate your child may have autism
Babies are usually friendly and noisy. In some cases, a toddler will avoid other children, become easily fixated on an object, and sometimes avoid speaking. It’s the long silences that lead to most cases of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) being diagnosed.
Experts say that since autism has no physical signs, delayed speech is mostly what gets the attention of parents. Experts say that if a child is not able to take part in a meaningful conversation by the age of two, or repeats words a lot, parents must see a doctor.
Many parents believe that autism can only be diagnosed at around the age of three years. However, experts say that signs can become visible at the age of six months. Some of the signs to look for are reluctance to make eye contact or respond to their name. Parents should also look out for long periods where the child does not interact.
Early diagnosis is important as remedial education and behavioral therapy play a huge role during the early years, for children with ASD.
A major factor for the late diagnosis of autism is that parents are in denial. This means a child spends years without the intervention needed to cope with the condition.
The first step in intervention is a neuropsychological assessment, which gives an assessment of cognitive functioning.
There is also an online test, called M-Chat, or Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers, that parents can take as a first step, say some experts.
M-Chat is a developmental screening tool for toddlers between 16 and 30 months of age. It’s not fool proof but can be an indicator of whether you need professional intervention.
The ideal person to approach is a behavioral analyst if your child tests positive for ASD, say experts. The analyst can teach the child the skills appropriate for the age, help identify and capitalize on strengths, and begin the process of moving forward.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 18, 2018 Prime Minister Modi meets India's Para Asian Games players
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 This special school in Madurai focuses on various therapies for disabled children
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Government announces scholarships for students with disabilities
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Get-hooked October 16, 2018 Dating a person with autism? Here are some things to keep in mind
- Get-hooked October 18, 2018 Staying fit with a disability is easy, here are some tips
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News