Tips to teach social skills to a child with a learning disability
April 13, 2018
Parents in today's world, are busy teaching their kids how to be experts in maths, science and computers.
What they often forget to teach are social skills, which are very important for the growth and development of a child. Most teachers' and parents' think that a child is born with social skills. Hence, it need not be taught, which is a wrong notion.
A child must develop social skills through activities and from the environment around them. Teaching them social skills is the need of the hour.
<p.This is true for children with learning disabilities as well. With some patience and creativity, a child with a learning disability can develop social skills.
The parent must know the reason that inhibits their child's social skills. It could be a behaviour management issue, communication-linked, or one with sensory integration. Identifying this at the right time can be helpful for your child and yourself.
Educate your child
Your child must be taught socially acceptable behaviours. Most of the times, they find it difficult to understand what others are trying to communicate. Teach your child how to deal with people around them by giving them examples and a detailed narration.
This is one of the most important things that a parent needs to understand and practice. A child who is learning disabled will demand a lot of your time. As a parent, ensure that you provide that.
Use social stories
Parents can pick stories from around the environment of the child, show them picture cards and visual reminders. This will make a deeper impact in the mind of the child who has a learning disability.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
- Events April 18, 2019 Treasure Island
- Get-hooked April 14, 2019 Shubhajit aims to enter history books as first double arm amputee to complete Bengaluru-Ladakh bike ride
- Get-hooked April 15, 2019 World Hemophilia Day 2019 aims for outreach & identification
- Events April 16, 2019 Learning Through Play Workshop
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 CBSE to allow visual aids in Class 10 exams from 2020 for students with vision impairments
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News