Tips to teach social skills to a child with a learning disability
April 13, 2018
Parents in today's world, are busy teaching their kids how to be experts in maths, science and computers.
What they often forget to teach are social skills, which are very important for the growth and development of a child. Most teachers' and parents' think that a child is born with social skills. Hence, it need not be taught, which is a wrong notion.
A child must develop social skills through activities and from the environment around them. Teaching them social skills is the need of the hour.
<p.This is true for children with learning disabilities as well. With some patience and creativity, a child with a learning disability can develop social skills.
The parent must know the reason that inhibits their child's social skills. It could be a behaviour management issue, communication-linked, or one with sensory integration. Identifying this at the right time can be helpful for your child and yourself.
Educate your child
Your child must be taught socially acceptable behaviours. Most of the times, they find it difficult to understand what others are trying to communicate. Teach your child how to deal with people around them by giving them examples and a detailed narration.
This is one of the most important things that a parent needs to understand and practice. A child who is learning disabled will demand a lot of your time. As a parent, ensure that you provide that.
Use social stories
Parents can pick stories from around the environment of the child, show them picture cards and visual reminders. This will make a deeper impact in the mind of the child who has a learning disability.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Best friends Mary Vincy & Mary Jiya shares their success mantras
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Deaf Entertainment is bringing the magic of movies to new audiences
- Events June 20, 2019 Anxiety Disorders & Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Events June 26, 2019 Coaching Classes for Visually Impaired Students
- Technology June 20, 2019 #TechThursdays - Flexmo, a one-of-its-kind crutch, is engineered for all terrain types
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Events June 23, 2019 Certificate Course on Down Syndrome
- Technology June 24, 2019 New web-based remote promises to change TV viewing for people with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News