Tips to teach social skills to a child with a learning disability
Parents in today’s world, are busy teaching their kids how to be experts in maths, science and computers.
What they often forget to teach are social skills, which are very important for the growth and development of a child. Most teachers' and parents' think that a child is born with social skills. Hence, it need not be taught, which is a wrong notion.
A child must develop social skills through activities and from the environment around them. Teaching them social skills is the need of the hour.
<p.This is true for children with learning disabilities as well. With some patience and creativity, a child with a learning disability can develop social skills.
The parent must know the reason that inhibits their child's social skills. It could be a behaviour management issue, communication-linked, or one with sensory integration. Identifying this at the right time can be helpful for your child and yourself.
Educate your child
Your child must be taught socially acceptable behaviours. Most of the times, they find it difficult to understand what others are trying to communicate. Teach your child how to deal with people around them by giving them examples and a detailed narration.
This is one of the most important things that a parent needs to understand and practice. A child who is learning disabled will demand a lot of your time. As a parent, ensure that you provide that.
Use social stories
Parents can pick stories from around the environment of the child, show them picture cards and visual reminders. This will make a deeper impact in the mind of the child who has a learning disability.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Kerala government starts initiatives for inclusive elections
- Headlines February 15, 2019 India vs Australia - Update
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 15, 2019 Gully Boy hits theatres
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News