Gesture Vocalizer uses hand movements to convert sign language into voice, text
April 9, 2018
Students of the Holy Grace Academy of Engineering in Kerala, have developed a device that may change the way people who are deaf and hard of hearing communicate with others.
The device is called Gesture Vocalizer. It has been developed by four students of electronics and communication. It aims to reduce the communication gap between people who are deaf and those who are not.
Gesture Vocalizer is mainly based on hand movements. The system aims to take the gestures and convert them into an audio-visual format that can be understood by everyone.
The system consists of an input, a control section, and output. The input portion has a hand glove with sensors to determine the bending of fingers. It also has an accelerometer to measure the tilt of the hand.
The values from the sensors are given to the control section. Here they are compared with the reference values of standardized sign language. This is then used to produce pre-recorded output messages that match these values. These messages are in audio and display form.
The system converts sign language into a voice and a text. There is an audio processor attached to a speaker and an LCD display to show the output. The portable device works on a 9V radio battery.
Watch in Sign Language
- With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
March 14, 2019
- BDD Assist aims to revolutionise lives of blind and deaf people, gets mixed reviews
March 9, 2019
- Raised Line Foundation, an IIT-Delhi initiative, is working to bring the power of choice to visually impaired students
March 5, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines March 24, 2019 Jet Airways suspends flights to 13 international routes
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Anil Ambani pays dues, avoids jail term
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Get-hooked March 25, 2019 Tough, but not impossible. - Guest columnist Karthik Chandrashekhar talks about his journey overcoming disability
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Headlines March 13, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News