Gesture Vocalizer uses hand movements to convert sign language into voice, text
April 9, 2018
Students of the Holy Grace Academy of Engineering in Kerala, have developed a device that may change the way people who are deaf and hard of hearing communicate with others.
The device is called Gesture Vocalizer. It has been developed by four students of electronics and communication. It aims to reduce the communication gap between people who are deaf and those who are not.
Gesture Vocalizer is mainly based on hand movements. The system aims to take the gestures and convert them into an audio-visual format that can be understood by everyone.
The system consists of an input, a control section, and output. The input portion has a hand glove with sensors to determine the bending of fingers. It also has an accelerometer to measure the tilt of the hand.
The values from the sensors are given to the control section. Here they are compared with the reference values of standardized sign language. This is then used to produce pre-recorded output messages that match these values. These messages are in audio and display form.
The system converts sign language into a voice and a text. There is an audio processor attached to a speaker and an LCD display to show the output. The portable device works on a 9V radio battery.
Watch in Sign Language
- #TechThursdays - Augmenta11y, an app developed by students, helps children with dyslexia read better
May 23, 2019
- Reserve Bank of India suggests app to help visually impaired people identify rupee notes
May 15, 2019
- Google's Android Q to introduce Live Captions and Subtitles to all types of content
May 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 'We have only one life, so live it to the fullest' - My Take by Krishnakumar PS
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
- Headlines May 27, 2019 PM Modi to be sworn in on 30 May
- Headlines May 27, 2019 Hundreds left homeless in Tripura after heavy rains
- Get-hooked May 26, 2019 Understanding Phantom Limb Pain
- Get-hooked May 27, 2019 An exclusive anthem for children with hearing disabilities aims to spread awareness
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 25, 2019 18 children killed in fire at Surat building
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News