Gesture Vocalizer uses hand movements to convert sign language into voice, text
April 9, 2018
Students of the Holy Grace Academy of Engineering in Kerala, have developed a device that may change the way people who are deaf and hard of hearing communicate with others.
The device is called Gesture Vocalizer. It has been developed by four students of electronics and communication. It aims to reduce the communication gap between people who are deaf and those who are not.
Gesture Vocalizer is mainly based on hand movements. The system aims to take the gestures and convert them into an audio-visual format that can be understood by everyone.
The system consists of an input, a control section, and output. The input portion has a hand glove with sensors to determine the bending of fingers. It also has an accelerometer to measure the tilt of the hand.
The values from the sensors are given to the control section. Here they are compared with the reference values of standardized sign language. This is then used to produce pre-recorded output messages that match these values. These messages are in audio and display form.
The system converts sign language into a voice and a text. There is an audio processor attached to a speaker and an LCD display to show the output. The portable device works on a 9V radio battery.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked July 21, 2019 The Gopal family worked together as a team to empower their daughter Vaishnavi who has cerebral palsy
- Headlines July 19, 2019 One conviction in high profile murder of UK teen in Goa
- Headlines July 21, 2019 Indians on board British ship seized by Iran
- Headlines July 19, 2019 13 dead in Mumbai building collapse
- Get-hooked July 14, 2019 Understanding Essential Oils for Autism, ADHD
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 18, 2019 Hrithik Roshan’s Super 30 made tax-free in Bihar
- Get-hooked July 17, 2019 Disabled people put up remarkable performances at talent show in New Delhi
- Events July 18, 2019 3rd National wheelchair Rugby Championship 2019
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News