Gesture Vocalizer uses hand movements to convert sign language into voice, text
Students of the Holy Grace Academy of Engineering in Kerala, have developed a device that may change the way people who are deaf and hard of hearing communicate with others.
The device is called Gesture Vocalizer. It has been developed by four students of electronics and communication. It aims to reduce the communication gap between people who are deaf and those who are not.
Gesture Vocalizer is mainly based on hand movements. The system aims to take the gestures and convert them into an audio-visual format that can be understood by everyone.
The system consists of an input, a control section, and output. The input portion has a hand glove with sensors to determine the bending of fingers. It also has an accelerometer to measure the tilt of the hand.
The values from the sensors are given to the control section. Here they are compared with the reference values of standardized sign language. This is then used to produce pre-recorded output messages that match these values. These messages are in audio and display form.
The system converts sign language into a voice and a text. There is an audio processor attached to a speaker and an LCD display to show the output. The portable device works on a 9V radio battery.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 21, 2019 Some things to not tell a disabled person when you meet online
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
- Get-hooked January 18, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines January 15, 2019 PM Modi tells public to rate government
- Get-hooked January 15, 2019 "I asked for my khukri & cut off my leg"- My Take by Ian Cardozo, 1st war disabled Indian soldier to lead a battalion
- Events January 20, 2019 Parent Workshop on Toilet Training
- Events January 20, 2019 Behavior Management Workshop
- Parasports January 22, 2019 Champions with disabilities display guts & glory at the 2019 Tata Mumbai Marathon
- Employment January 17, 2019 How to make the workplace suitable for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Fed up of delays in updated guidelines for disabled MBBS aspirants, activists approach minister
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News