Learn how to pursue Indian Sign Language academically & professionally!
April 9, 2018
Learning Indian Sign Language (ISL) can open many doors in India. Here are some tips on how learning ISL can open many doors, academically and professionally.
Sign Language interpreters - There is a section of the Indian population that is deaf and hard of hearing that uses Indian Sign Language. While communicating with people who are hearing, there is a need for Indian Sign Language interpreters across fields.
You can do a diploma programmes as well as short-term courses. Learning this can open many career paths for you.
Where to study
- The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) in New Delhi offers a one-year, government-certified diploma programme in ISL Interpretation. You need to have passed Class 12 or its equivalent from a recognized Board of Education with at least 50% marks. You can apply through their website - http://220.127.116.11/islrtcapp/.
- Certificate courses are conducted as well by many NGOs. The Deaf EnAbled Foundation has about 10 centers throughout India. They offer three-month or six-month courses. The courses are held during weekends and anyone of any age or educational background can join.
- One can also learn by watching videos online, or take an online course, or download an app to learn ISL.
Career Opportunities for Hearing People:
- Interpreter in government organizations or in the private sector.
- Instructor in schools for people who are deaf.
- Volunteer at NGOs that need interpreters.
Career Opportunities for Deaf people:
- Teacher in sign language.
- Trainer for vocational skills.
- Volunteers in NGOs and companies that require ISL training
Watch in Sign Language
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
- CBSE Bareilly topper Mahima Shah appeals to PMO, Amit Shah to intervene in admission deadlock
August 24, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 25, 2019 Ex Minister Arun Jaitley is no more
- Get-Hooked August 25, 2019 Understanding Teaching Nonverbal Children
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Former union Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody until Monday
- Technology August 20, 2019 New robots to assist sportspersons at 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
- Headlines August 24, 2019 PM Modi talks about 'New India' at France
- Accessibility August 23, 2019 Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
- Accessibility August 26, 2019 Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
- Get-Hooked August 24, 2019 Parenting Corner-Autism Myths
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News