Learn how to pursue Indian Sign Language academically & professionally!
Learning Indian Sign Language (ISL) can open many doors in India. Here are some tips on how learning ISL can open many doors, academically and professionally.
Sign Language interpreters - There is a section of the Indian population that is deaf and hard of hearing that uses Indian Sign Language. While communicating with people who are hearing, there is a need for Indian Sign Language interpreters across fields.
You can do a diploma programmes as well as short-term courses. Learning this can open many career paths for you.
Where to study
- The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) in New Delhi offers a one-year, government-certified diploma programme in ISL Interpretation. You need to have passed Class 12 or its equivalent from a recognized Board of Education with at least 50% marks. You can apply through their website - http://184.108.40.206/islrtcapp/.
- Certificate courses are conducted as well by many NGOs. The Deaf EnAbled Foundation has about 10 centers throughout India. They offer three-month or six-month courses. The courses are held during weekends and anyone of any age or educational background can join.
- One can also learn by watching videos online, or take an online course, or download an app to learn ISL.
Career Opportunities for Hearing People:
- Interpreter in government organizations or in the private sector.
- Instructor in schools for people who are deaf.
- Volunteer at NGOs that need interpreters.
Career Opportunities for Deaf people:
- Teacher in sign language.
- Trainer for vocational skills.
- Volunteers in NGOs and companies that require ISL training
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility November 18, 2018 MCI moves towards public consultation on on amendments to disability rules for MBBS students
- Headlines November 18, 2018 Kerala shutdowns as Sabarimala open for ‘Mandala Kalam’
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Samsung to launch smartphone with four rear cameras in India this month
- Get-hooked November 13, 2018 The Executive Age of children with ADHD, find out more
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some tips to boost self-esteem for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Marvel Comics creator Stan Lee dies at 95
- Accessibility November 19, 2018 #MeToo moment eludes India's disabled women, Tamil Nadu study reveals extent of invisibility
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News