Learn how to pursue Indian Sign Language academically & professionally!
April 9, 2018
Learning Indian Sign Language (ISL) can open many doors in India. Here are some tips on how learning ISL can open many doors, academically and professionally.
Sign Language interpreters - There is a section of the Indian population that is deaf and hard of hearing that uses Indian Sign Language. While communicating with people who are hearing, there is a need for Indian Sign Language interpreters across fields.
You can do a diploma programmes as well as short-term courses. Learning this can open many career paths for you.
Where to study
- The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) in New Delhi offers a one-year, government-certified diploma programme in ISL Interpretation. You need to have passed Class 12 or its equivalent from a recognized Board of Education with at least 50% marks. You can apply through their website - http://184.108.40.206/islrtcapp/.
- Certificate courses are conducted as well by many NGOs. The Deaf EnAbled Foundation has about 10 centers throughout India. They offer three-month or six-month courses. The courses are held during weekends and anyone of any age or educational background can join.
- One can also learn by watching videos online, or take an online course, or download an app to learn ISL.
Career Opportunities for Hearing People:
- Interpreter in government organizations or in the private sector.
- Instructor in schools for people who are deaf.
- Volunteer at NGOs that need interpreters.
Career Opportunities for Deaf people:
- Teacher in sign language.
- Trainer for vocational skills.
- Volunteers in NGOs and companies that require ISL training
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 17, 2019 Accessible Text Creation Workshop
- Headlines March 20, 2019 Madhya Pradesh girl raped & killed, uncle & brothers accused
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Learn valuable self-defense techniques at this session for disabled women in Mumbai
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Some tips to help children with learning disabilities
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Parikkar given state funeral with military honours
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Female Special Police Officer in J&K shot dead by terrorists
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News