Learn how to pursue Indian Sign Language academically & professionally!
Learning Indian Sign Language (ISL) can open many doors in India. Here are some tips on how learning ISL can open many doors, academically and professionally.
Sign Language interpreters - There is a section of the Indian population that is deaf and hard of hearing that uses Indian Sign Language. While communicating with people who are hearing, there is a need for Indian Sign Language interpreters across fields.
You can do a diploma programmes as well as short-term courses. Learning this can open many career paths for you.
Where to study
- The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) in New Delhi offers a one-year, government-certified diploma programme in ISL Interpretation. You need to have passed Class 12 or its equivalent from a recognized Board of Education with at least 50% marks. You can apply through their website - http://18.104.22.168/islrtcapp/.
- Certificate courses are conducted as well by many NGOs. The Deaf EnAbled Foundation has about 10 centers throughout India. They offer three-month or six-month courses. The courses are held during weekends and anyone of any age or educational background can join.
- One can also learn by watching videos online, or take an online course, or download an app to learn ISL.
Career Opportunities for Hearing People:
- Interpreter in government organizations or in the private sector.
- Instructor in schools for people who are deaf.
- Volunteer at NGOs that need interpreters.
Career Opportunities for Deaf people:
- Teacher in sign language.
- Trainer for vocational skills.
- Volunteers in NGOs and companies that require ISL training
Watch in Sign Language
- Home schooling now an option for children with disabilities in Maharashtra
January 16, 2019
- Some tips for teaching children with Down syndrome
January 11, 2019
- Madhya Pradesh gesture to promote inclusion gets a thumbs up
January 9, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 23, 2019 The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Awareness to access, Cure SMA India speaks up for kids with spinal muscular atrophy
- Headlines January 19, 2019 Heavy fog disrupts flights, trains in Delhi
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Dhoni becomes 4th Indian to record 1,000 one day runs in Australia
- Headlines January 19, 2019 India wins one day series in Australia
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Parasports January 17, 2019 Kerala government move to hold marathon with disabled category welcomed
- Accessibility January 20, 2019 Get set for #Sabkeliye, India's biggest & boldest accessible shopping initiative ever
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Jadavpur University Professor sacked for sexist remarks
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Education January 11, 2019
Technology January 23, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News