Mumbai runs for a cause, and autism awareness it is!
8 April was indeed special for Mumbai as the city came together to create awareness on autism spectrum disorder (ASD). More than 600 Mumbaiikars came together to run for ‘Casue-a-thon’, an annual event that is held to create awareness on autism. ‘Cause-a-thon’ was organized by ‘Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre’. The 10km run that started from the Taj Land’s End concluded at Carter Road. The event was flagged off by Maria Goretti who is a TV anchor, actor and author.
Children with autism, their parents, regular runners and volunteers from various NGO’s took part in the run. Dr Reena Singh is the founder of ‘Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre’ and ‘Cause-a-thon’. Khushi said that every year they raise at least 1.5 lakh rupees for treatment of children with autism who cannot afford treatment. This year, they managed to fund 2 lakh rupees!
Many participants feel that Mumbai has very little awareness about autism. Swapnil Srivastav’s son Arth has autism. Swapnil said that not more than 10 percent Mumbaiikars know about autism. He said that an awareness on autism is need of the hour. People feel that an autistic child is often misbehaving in a group. Autism is not seen there.
Some runners were spotted with blue paint all over them. Autism is signified in blue.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Technology February 17, 2019 Leveraging artificial intelligence for accessibility solutions focus of Microsoft India's Accessibility Summit
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Parasports February 16, 2019 Inclusive tandem-cycling expedition #M2k2019 is back, this time even more scenic & challenging
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 8, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News