Mumbai runs for a cause, and autism awareness it is!
April 10, 2018
8 April was indeed special for Mumbai as the city came together to create awareness on autism spectrum disorder (ASD). More than 600 Mumbaiikars came together to run for 'Casue-a-thon', an annual event that is held to create awareness on autism. 'Cause-a-thon' was organized by 'Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre'. The 10km run that started from the Taj Land's End concluded at Carter Road. The event was flagged off by Maria Goretti who is a TV anchor, actor and author.
Children with autism, their parents, regular runners and volunteers from various NGO's took part in the run. Dr Reena Singh is the founder of 'Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre' and 'Cause-a-thon'. Khushi said that every year they raise at least 1.5 lakh rupees for treatment of children with autism who cannot afford treatment. This year, they managed to fund 2 lakh rupees!
Many participants feel that Mumbai has very little awareness about autism. Swapnil Srivastav's son Arth has autism. Swapnil said that not more than 10 percent Mumbaiikars know about autism. He said that an awareness on autism is need of the hour. People feel that an autistic child is often misbehaving in a group. Autism is not seen there.
Some runners were spotted with blue paint all over them. Autism is signified in blue.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment June 12, 2019 Breast cancer detection training for blind women to be expanded to more Indian cities
- Headlines June 18, 2019 Doctors call off strike after meeting with Mamata Banerjee
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Kerala cops, Interpol join hands to fight child abuse
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Headlines June 11, 2019 Virat apologises for booing Indian fans
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News