Mumbai runs for a cause, and autism awareness it is!
April 10, 2018
8 April was indeed special for Mumbai as the city came together to create awareness on autism spectrum disorder (ASD). More than 600 Mumbaiikars came together to run for 'Casue-a-thon', an annual event that is held to create awareness on autism. 'Cause-a-thon' was organized by 'Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre'. The 10km run that started from the Taj Land's End concluded at Carter Road. The event was flagged off by Maria Goretti who is a TV anchor, actor and author.
Children with autism, their parents, regular runners and volunteers from various NGO's took part in the run. Dr Reena Singh is the founder of 'Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre' and 'Cause-a-thon'. Khushi said that every year they raise at least 1.5 lakh rupees for treatment of children with autism who cannot afford treatment. This year, they managed to fund 2 lakh rupees!
Many participants feel that Mumbai has very little awareness about autism. Swapnil Srivastav's son Arth has autism. Swapnil said that not more than 10 percent Mumbaiikars know about autism. He said that an awareness on autism is need of the hour. People feel that an autistic child is often misbehaving in a group. Autism is not seen there.
Some runners were spotted with blue paint all over them. Autism is signified in blue.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 Understanding Stimming
- Headlines April 20, 2019 Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mayawati share dais at Uttar Pradesh
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News