Mumbai runs for a cause, and autism awareness it is!
8 April was indeed special for Mumbai as the city came together to create awareness on autism spectrum disorder (ASD). More than 600 Mumbaiikars came together to run for ‘Casue-a-thon’, an annual event that is held to create awareness on autism. ‘Cause-a-thon’ was organized by ‘Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre’. The 10km run that started from the Taj Land’s End concluded at Carter Road. The event was flagged off by Maria Goretti who is a TV anchor, actor and author.
Children with autism, their parents, regular runners and volunteers from various NGO’s took part in the run. Dr Reena Singh is the founder of ‘Khushi Pediatric Therapy Centre’ and ‘Cause-a-thon’. Khushi said that every year they raise at least 1.5 lakh rupees for treatment of children with autism who cannot afford treatment. This year, they managed to fund 2 lakh rupees!
Many participants feel that Mumbai has very little awareness about autism. Swapnil Srivastav’s son Arth has autism. Swapnil said that not more than 10 percent Mumbaiikars know about autism. He said that an awareness on autism is need of the hour. People feel that an autistic child is often misbehaving in a group. Autism is not seen there.
Some runners were spotted with blue paint all over them. Autism is signified in blue.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 Come 16 December, Bengaluru will host a car rally for awareness on autism
- Get-hooked December 12, 2018 Some useful Information about Angelman Syndrome
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Zomato delivery boy sacked after video goes viral
- Headlines December 13, 2018 Congress to form government in MP with Mayawati’s support
- Headlines December 14, 2018 Senior BJP leader questions choice of new RBI governor, party embarrassed
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018