Sign NEXT aims to make deaf people part of the mainstream conversation
Deaf engineer Theertha Nirmala was the star at a two-day conclave called Huddle Kerala organized in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala.
Huddle Kerala was organized by the Start-up Mission in partnership with the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) .
Nirmala has created a device called Sign NEXT to help people who are deaf. Nirmala wants to talk and communicate more effectively to deaf people across India, so they become a part of the mainstream conversation
The device won her third prize at the conclave. There was much praise for her efforts. Theertha is from Kozhikode in Kerala and works at Infopark. She completed her graduation in computer science at the National Institute of Speech and Hearing in Thiruvananthapuram. This is where she launched the device with friends.
Theertha wants to bring a change for good in the lives of deaf people. She wants to empower deaf people through science and technology. Sign Next is a step towards that goal.
A mobile app for Sign NEXT will be brought out soon. This will offer educational modules, vocational courses, live streaming, and video recordings in sign language to the deaf community. There will also be information on how to write an email and pregnancy-related knowledge given.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Accessibility February 11, 2019 Citizen activism pays off, gurdwara in East Delhi takes steps to make worship accessible for all
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Patients find centre stage in competencies aimed to develop disability-inclusive compassionate care
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News