Sign NEXT aims to make deaf people part of the mainstream conversation
April 10, 2018
Deaf engineer Theertha Nirmala was the star at a two-day conclave called Huddle Kerala organized in Thiruvananthapuram, the capital city of Kerala.
Huddle Kerala was organized by the Start-up Mission in partnership with the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) .
Nirmala has created a device called Sign NEXT to help people who are deaf. Nirmala wants to talk and communicate more effectively to deaf people across India, so they become a part of the mainstream conversation
The device won her third prize at the conclave. There was much praise for her efforts. Theertha is from Kozhikode in Kerala and works at Infopark. She completed her graduation in computer science at the National Institute of Speech and Hearing in Thiruvananthapuram. This is where she launched the device with friends.
Theertha wants to bring a change for good in the lives of deaf people. She wants to empower deaf people through science and technology. Sign Next is a step towards that goal.
A mobile app for Sign NEXT will be brought out soon. This will offer educational modules, vocational courses, live streaming, and video recordings in sign language to the deaf community. There will also be information on how to write an email and pregnancy-related knowledge given.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
- Headlines June 14, 2019 Sania Mirza slams TV ads ahead of India-Pak match
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Technology June 12, 2019 Chatbot Mera Mitra aims to be the personal companion for all things to do with disability in India
- Headlines June 17, 2019 Cricket World Cup – India beats Pakistan
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Headlines June 11, 2019 PM says Rahul yet to recover from poll loss
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News