Kameswar Das from Assam is a rising star in cricket for physically challenged players
April 12, 2018
25-year-old Kameswar Das from Assam is being seen as the next star by the Physically Challenged Cricket Association of India.
Das ensured his state put up a good performance against Karnataka in the recently held Bir Lachit Divyang National Cricket tournament.
Assam lost the final due to poor batting, but Das' seam bowling helped his state get off to a good start. Assam dismissed Karnataka for just 99 runs. However, Assam finally lost by 18 runs.
Das was not expected to play the final as he lost his mother just one week before the tournament. However, he surprised everyone by walking into the field soon after performing his mother's last rites.
Das walked away with the best bowler trophy for taking seven wickets in three matches. Teammate Ali Akbar was adjudged man of the series for scoring 65 runs and taking six wickets.
Das' bowling is being compared to that of Australian Glenn McGrath.
The other teams for this edition of the tournament were two-time champions Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Chhattisgarh, and Karnataka.
Das has been an Assam team regular for six years, which is a rare achievement for someone with polio. Das has also suffered from depression.
His seniors are determined to make sure he plays for India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 12, 2019 Shikhar Dhawan out of World Cup due to injury
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Why my dad's my superhero - Father's Day Tributes
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines June 16, 2019 Mamata Banerjee accepts demands of protesting doctors
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 Delhi government failure to implement key RPWD Act provision sign of larger apathy
- Events June 11, 2019 Maximising Progress in Autism
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Lyse Bin Muhammad combines medicine & disability activism with ease
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News