Kameswar Das from Assam is a rising star in cricket for physically challenged players
April 12, 2018
25-year-old Kameswar Das from Assam is being seen as the next star by the Physically Challenged Cricket Association of India.
Das ensured his state put up a good performance against Karnataka in the recently held Bir Lachit Divyang National Cricket tournament.
Assam lost the final due to poor batting, but Das' seam bowling helped his state get off to a good start. Assam dismissed Karnataka for just 99 runs. However, Assam finally lost by 18 runs.
Das was not expected to play the final as he lost his mother just one week before the tournament. However, he surprised everyone by walking into the field soon after performing his mother's last rites.
Das walked away with the best bowler trophy for taking seven wickets in three matches. Teammate Ali Akbar was adjudged man of the series for scoring 65 runs and taking six wickets.
Das' bowling is being compared to that of Australian Glenn McGrath.
The other teams for this edition of the tournament were two-time champions Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Chhattisgarh, and Karnataka.
Das has been an Assam team regular for six years, which is a rare achievement for someone with polio. Das has also suffered from depression.
His seniors are determined to make sure he plays for India.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Hygiene lessons for children with autism can be made fun, here's how
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Headlines April 13, 2019 SC to hear Modi biopic case on 15 April
- Accessibility April 13, 2019 Calcutta High Court rules in favour of medical student with mental disorder who was denied admission
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Maneka Gandhi gets notice from Election Commission
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 19, 2019 ‘Kalank’ is highest grosser on opening day for 2019
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Events April 15, 2019 Tandem Challenge
- Headlines April 17, 2019 IPL 2019 - Rajasthan Royals lose again
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News