Para swimmer Shams Alam Shaikh selected for World Series Swimming Championship
Talented para swimmer Shams Alam Shaikh has been selected for the World Para Swimming Championship World Series.
The competition is to be held in Sheffield in United Kingdom in May.
Shams Alam is currently in the United States for the Global Sports Mentoring Programme, 2018.
The programme provides one-month long mentorship and is organized by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States government and the University of Tennessee.
Shams was also an avid karate practitioner before he became a paraplegic in 2010 due to tumour.
He took up swimming and went on to win awards and set records with his will power and hard work.
Shams, who is paralyzed below the chest, swims every day for long hours.
He has won a bronze medal at the 2016 Speedo Can Am Para-swimming Championships in Canada.
Shams also holds the record for the longest open sea swim by a paraplegic person in India.
Watch in Sign Language
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
- Players prep for the National wheelchair cricket match to begin this March
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Kashmir attack - Pakistan under pressure to end support to terror groups
- Headlines February 14, 2019 CAG report on Rafale deal brings relief to Modi government
- Events February 12, 2019 Empowering for Inclusion Summit 2019
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
- Headlines February 17, 2019 India-Australia series - Karthik dropped
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News