Sign language is the super power in this Italian film that releases in the United States today
April 13, 2018
Emilio Insolera, a deaf Italian filmmaker, grew up obsessed with the idea of making movies. He was told by everyone that would not be possible given that he could not hear.
Insolera refused to pay them attention and went ahead with his dream. Now his first feature film, Sign Gene, will make its debut in the United States this week.
The plot centers on an international band of deaf people, who, thanks to a genetic mutation, can channel superpowers through their use of sign language. Its a thrilling, fast-paced film shot on three continents.
The cast is made up of deaf actors and children of deaf adults. Insolera says his films are for both deaf and hearing audiences. He wants hearing audiences to watch the film for a better understanding of deaf language and experience.
The theme of Sign Gene is that sign language is a source of power. This is something that the deaf community is passionate about. Most of the film's dialogue is in sign languages - American, Italian, and Japanese. There are some scenes with spoken lines.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 26, 2019 Felt suicidal after India loss, says Pakistan cricket coach
- Headlines June 25, 2019 Jharkhand mob lynching victim dies, five arrested
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Afghanistan match was a lesson, says Virat
- Parasports June 19, 2019 Tamil Nadu set to rock the National Wheelchair Basketball Championship
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Nippon Paint launches SAHYOG programme to empower youth with disabilities
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Headlines June 24, 2019 Salman to earn 400 crore from Bigg Boss 13
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News