Sign language is the super power in this Italian film that releases in the United States today
April 13, 2018
Emilio Insolera, a deaf Italian filmmaker, grew up obsessed with the idea of making movies. He was told by everyone that would not be possible given that he could not hear.
Insolera refused to pay them attention and went ahead with his dream. Now his first feature film, Sign Gene, will make its debut in the United States this week.
The plot centers on an international band of deaf people, who, thanks to a genetic mutation, can channel superpowers through their use of sign language. Its a thrilling, fast-paced film shot on three continents.
The cast is made up of deaf actors and children of deaf adults. Insolera says his films are for both deaf and hearing audiences. He wants hearing audiences to watch the film for a better understanding of deaf language and experience.
The theme of Sign Gene is that sign language is a source of power. This is something that the deaf community is passionate about. Most of the film's dialogue is in sign languages - American, Italian, and Japanese. There are some scenes with spoken lines.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Planet Autism Art Exhibition
- Get-hooked April 13, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Technology April 15, 2019 Low cost foot orthosis among the promising innovations on display at IIT-Bombay's annual device expo
- Parasports April 17, 2019 Champ para swimmer Wg Commander Shantanu looks to set a new record, this time in rowing
- Headlines April 16, 2019 World Cup Cricket - Indian side announced
- Headlines April 12, 2019 IPL 2019- CSK beats RR
- Accessibility April 12, 2019 Worthy of international medals, but "mentally unsound" to vote – Why this election will elude Asha Kiran home residents
- Accessibility April 18, 2019 Platforms at Coimbatore railway station will now get lifts
- Events April 11, 2019 Sibling Gathering
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News