Sign language is the super power in this Italian film that releases in the United States today
Emilio Insolera, a deaf Italian filmmaker, grew up obsessed with the idea of making movies. He was told by everyone that would not be possible given that he could not hear.
Insolera refused to pay them attention and went ahead with his dream. Now his first feature film, Sign Gene, will make its debut in the United States this week.
The plot centers on an international band of deaf people, who, thanks to a genetic mutation, can channel superpowers through their use of sign language. Its a thrilling, fast-paced film shot on three continents.
The cast is made up of deaf actors and children of deaf adults. Insolera says his films are for both deaf and hearing audiences. He wants hearing audiences to watch the film for a better understanding of deaf language and experience.
The theme of Sign Gene is that sign language is a source of power. This is something that the deaf community is passionate about. Most of the film's dialogue is in sign languages - American, Italian, and Japanese. There are some scenes with spoken lines.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility December 9, 2018 Bengaluru’s Namma Pride gets a thumbs up for its accessibility features
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Events December 8, 2018 Poetry and Talent Nite at Mitr
- Get-hooked December 9, 2018 These disabled youngsters find their passion in something unique
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Events December 12, 2018 Planet Abled Barrier Free Skiing Adventure 2019
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Headlines December 13, 2018 India vs Australia - Prithvi Shaw will miss second Test
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News