How to select activities for children with disabilities
Having fun and enjoyment is a must for every child. Sports and games are source of fun and physical activity for kids with disabilities.
They not only help kids have a great time but also make them learn other skills.
Meeting other kids, socializing and working as a team are part of the activities. They also help in the development of the child and teach them to realize their own potential.
Here are a few ideas to consider while selecting activities for children with disabilities.
• The main factor while selecting a activity for a disabled child is that it should be fun. Kids quit a sport or activity when they stop having fun. It is vital to choose the activity as per the needs and interest of the child.
• Before the activity begins, set goals to get the full benefit of the effort. Simple goals can be set, such as making new friends, developing skills, being independent. Encourage the child with smaller goals like make two friends.
• Explain the rules of the game or activity that is to be played to the child.
• Encourage the child to share the experience with you afterwards. Ask them what they learned from the activity and what will be the next goal.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events December 11, 2018 Forging the Assistive Technology value chain
- Events December 11, 2018 Annual Party Forum For Autism
- Headlines December 8, 2018 Singer Mika Singh detained& released in Dubai over sexual harassment allegations
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Accessibility December 11, 2018 The wheelchair has given me wings to fly! - My Take by Dr Divya Singh
- Parasports December 11, 2018 Protest by Kerala para sportspersons to draw attention to struggle for facilities, funding
- Get-hooked December 8, 2018 What makes them Disability Heroes - World Disability Day Special
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 Understanding Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 14, 2018
Get-hooked December 8, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News