More deaf students at a Karjat boarding school allege they were sexually abused by caretaker
Two girls who are hard of hearing and have a speech impairment had registered a complaint in March alleging they were sexually assaulted. The incident took place at a boarding school for children with special needs in Karjat in Maharashtra.
Further investigations show that many more girls were sexually abused by the caretaker at the school.
Medical reports of the first two complainants have confirmed assault. The 44-year-old caretaker, Ram Shankar Bembre, has been arrested.
When police took the statements of the other girls at the school, they found that almost all were sexually assaulted. Medical tests have confirmed this as well.
The police have also recorded the statements of over seven girls. They plan to speak to more. The police are taking the help of a sign language interpreter to record the statements of the students.
Almost all the girls in the school have told the police said that they were molested or sexually assaulted by the caretaker. He is also accused of filming girls when they were in the bathroom.
The school is funded by the Social Justice Department. It was granted government recognition in 2012. It has been shut since the complaint was filed.
The boarding school is set to lose its recognition. The school principal claimed that she did not know such incidents were taking place until the time a case was filed.
Watch in Sign Language
- Gujarat government launches important initiative towards early screening of learning disabilities
February 7, 2019
- Mumbai's Wilson College's certificate course in disability studies finds widespread support
February 5, 2019
- No clarity on final guidelines for medical entrance test, disabled aspirants still in the dark
January 30, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 14, 2019 Free Eye Camp
- Parasports February 18, 2019 Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Events February 14, 2019 Walkathon for Mental Health Awareness
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Events February 14, 2019 Special Day Outing For Special Families
- Events February 17, 2019 National Conference on Assistive Technology for All 2030
- Headlines February 16, 2019 Actor Irrfan Khan is awaiting medical reports to start working
- Parasports February 15, 2019 First ever sound ball tennis workshop in Mumbai for people with visual impairments
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News