More deaf students at a Karjat boarding school allege they were sexually abused by caretaker
Two girls who are hard of hearing and have a speech impairment had registered a complaint in March alleging they were sexually assaulted. The incident took place at a boarding school for children with special needs in Karjat in Maharashtra.
Further investigations show that many more girls were sexually abused by the caretaker at the school.
Medical reports of the first two complainants have confirmed assault. The 44-year-old caretaker, Ram Shankar Bembre, has been arrested.
When police took the statements of the other girls at the school, they found that almost all were sexually assaulted. Medical tests have confirmed this as well.
The police have also recorded the statements of over seven girls. They plan to speak to more. The police are taking the help of a sign language interpreter to record the statements of the students.
Almost all the girls in the school have told the police said that they were molested or sexually assaulted by the caretaker. He is also accused of filming girls when they were in the bathroom.
The school is funded by the Social Justice Department. It was granted government recognition in 2012. It has been shut since the complaint was filed.
The boarding school is set to lose its recognition. The school principal claimed that she did not know such incidents were taking place until the time a case was filed.
Watch in Sign Language
- Make classrooms friendly for children with ADHD
November 15, 2018
- Understanding the Learning Disability - Dyslexia
November 14, 2018
- MBBS entrance exam brochure makes no mention of modified rules for disabled candidates
November 2, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked November 16, 2018 Some tips to make learning fun for children with autism
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 This Bengaluru NGO leaves a good message to society
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Get-hooked November 20, 2018 Delhi government move to set up ministry for disabled people meets with cautious response
- Parasports November 20, 2018 Divyaang Myithri Sports Academy’s wheelchair cricket camp is a success
- Events November 21, 2018 Workshop on Child Safety and Protection
- Events November 15, 2018 Convention Against Sexual Assaults on Women with Disabilities
- Get-hooked November 19, 2018 Some driving tips for people with disabilities
- Get-hooked November 15, 2018 Prince Durairaj is on a mission to spread awareness on child sexual abuse
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Get-hooked November 17, 2018