Parental tips for sibling of a child with autism
April 15, 2018
For a child with autism, their siblings can make an important role in their lives.
Siblings can help provide the support and comfort needed by a child with autism. However, for the parents, it may cause emotional issues like feeling guilty at times.
Parents have to spend more time with the child with autism and they may not be able to pay enough attention to their other children.
To ensure that the other children do not feel ignored, parents can follow some simple things.
Explain to your children about autism so that they understand the medical condition of their sibling.
Information will help them cope with the environment at home without feeling left out.
Be ready to answer their questions about autism spectrum disorder. This is will help them take interest in their brother or sister with autism.
Explain to the child about how autism affects the life of their siblings. Tell them about the limitations of the child with the disorder.
Communication with your children will ensure that they stay away from negative emotions.
It will also help them feel like an important part of the family and have affection for the sibling with autism.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events June 11, 2019 Golden Eye Chef 2019
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Archana Palahalli believes in facing odds with a smile
- Headlines June 13, 2019 PM's 'Mann Ki Baat' resumes on 30 June
- Get-hooked June 11, 2019 Abilympics 2019 is an opportunity for disabled people to show their mettle
- Accessibility June 11, 2019 A warrior in the cause of digital accessibility - My Take by Sai Bhagat
- Get-hooked June 16, 2019 Some tips to protect disabled children from bullying
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Bengal doctors' protest spreads to other cities
- Accessibility June 15, 2019 MCI requirement for double certification puts disabled medical aspirants under undue stress
- Events June 13, 2019 Own Your Life- Session for Parents
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News