Parental tips for sibling of a child with autism
For a child with autism, their siblings can make an important role in their lives.
Siblings can help provide the support and comfort needed by a child with autism. However, for the parents, it may cause emotional issues like feeling guilty at times.
Parents have to spend more time with the child with autism and they may not be able to pay enough attention to their other children.
To ensure that the other children do not feel ignored, parents can follow some simple things.
Explain to your children about autism so that they understand the medical condition of their sibling.
Information will help them cope with the environment at home without feeling left out.
Be ready to answer their questions about autism spectrum disorder. This is will help them take interest in their brother or sister with autism.
Explain to the child about how autism affects the life of their siblings. Tell them about the limitations of the child with the disorder.
Communication with your children will ensure that they stay away from negative emotions.
It will also help them feel like an important part of the family and have affection for the sibling with autism.
Watch in Sign Language
- One billion youth face risk of hearing loss, warns United Nations
February 18, 2019
- Naa Mein Naa Hai. Consent and Love. - Guest Column by Srinidhi Raghavan
February 18, 2019
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Gambhir, other players react to savage attack on Delhi cricket selector
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Parasports February 12, 2019 Indian disabled cricket team gets invite from Pakistan
- Get-hooked February 13, 2019 Deaf groups in Pune to protest against Maharashtra government's neglect of their needs
- Events February 14, 2019 Be a Valentine - Celebrate Love
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Outsider Art at the Kochi Muziris Biennale opens doors to people with autism
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 17, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Get-hooked February 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News