Parental tips for sibling of a child with autism
For a child with autism, their siblings can make an important role in their lives.
Siblings can help provide the support and comfort needed by a child with autism. However, for the parents, it may cause emotional issues like feeling guilty at times.
Parents have to spend more time with the child with autism and they may not be able to pay enough attention to their other children.
To ensure that the other children do not feel ignored, parents can follow some simple things.
Explain to your children about autism so that they understand the medical condition of their sibling.
Information will help them cope with the environment at home without feeling left out.
Be ready to answer their questions about autism spectrum disorder. This is will help them take interest in their brother or sister with autism.
Explain to the child about how autism affects the life of their siblings. Tell them about the limitations of the child with the disorder.
Communication with your children will ensure that they stay away from negative emotions.
It will also help them feel like an important part of the family and have affection for the sibling with autism.
Watch in Sign Language
- This Bengaluru school is empowering women with disabilities for the job market
December 18, 2018
- How a trek led to the start of a larger journey - My Take by P Devendra, Founder, Nayan Foundation
December 18, 2018
- My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
December 17, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education December 14, 2018 Sol's Arc is making the world a better place for children with disabilities
- Education December 18, 2018 Disabled students in West Bengal cheer move to reserve 5% seats in higher education
- Headlines December 12, 2018 United Kingdom court orders extradition of Vijay Mallya to India
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Accessibility December 18, 2018 Chennai's largest inclusive children's playground has something unique for everyone
- Headlines December 18, 2018 New Madhya Pradesh CM waives off farmers' loan after taking charge
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Headlines December 15, 2018 India vs Australia - Decision to drop Jadeja criticised
- Events December 17, 2018 Tycoons Rotary Marathon
- Get-hooked December 17, 2018 My life is disabled by my environment - Guest column by Diethono Nakhro, disability rights activist
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked December 7, 2018
Get-hooked December 10, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018