Para fencers from Manipur to miss out on international championship for lack of financial assistance
April 16, 2018
Three national-level para fencers from Manipur have no choice but to pull out of the International Wheelchair Amputee Sports (IWAS) to be held in Montreal, Canada, this month.
This is because their request for financial assistance from the state government has been ignored. So far no one in the state government has responded to their pleas for aid.
The State Platform of Disabled People Organization Manipur made many attempts to raise funds from the state government to enable the para fencers to travel to Canada. This included an appeal to the Manipur Chief Minister.
This is the third time para athletes from Manipur have missed out on the opportunity to take part in international-level wheelchair competitions.
One of the selected para fencers is W Sohodeba Singh, who has 22 national gold medals under his belt. Singh says that he is disappointed he will have to miss out. His family does not have the resources to send him for the competition.
Mohammed Riyas and Ningombam Geetanjali are other para fencers selected for the international competition.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 Musical Puppet play- The Learning Factory
- Headlines March 22, 2019 BJP releases first list of candidates for elections
- Headlines March 21, 2019 All IPL 2019 matches will be played in India
- Get-hooked March 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 18, 2019 Indian cricket team gears up for World Cup 2019
- Headlines March 17, 2019 Narendra Modi launches ‘Main Bhi Chowkidar’ campaign
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 Kerala youngster Vijesh Vijayan wins battle for justice in Kerala High Court
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News