Para fencers from Manipur to miss out on international championship for lack of financial assistance
April 16, 2018
Three national-level para fencers from Manipur have no choice but to pull out of the International Wheelchair Amputee Sports (IWAS) to be held in Montreal, Canada, this month.
This is because their request for financial assistance from the state government has been ignored. So far no one in the state government has responded to their pleas for aid.
The State Platform of Disabled People Organization Manipur made many attempts to raise funds from the state government to enable the para fencers to travel to Canada. This included an appeal to the Manipur Chief Minister.
This is the third time para athletes from Manipur have missed out on the opportunity to take part in international-level wheelchair competitions.
One of the selected para fencers is W Sohodeba Singh, who has 22 national gold medals under his belt. Singh says that he is disappointed he will have to miss out. His family does not have the resources to send him for the competition.
Mohammed Riyas and Ningombam Geetanjali are other para fencers selected for the international competition.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 26, 2019 Arun Jaitley cremated with full state honours
- Accessibility August 25, 2019 Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
- Technology August 25, 2019 18-year-old with autism wins fans across the world with his app Aumi
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Wheelchair users in Kochi rally together under the banner Kochi Wheelchair Koottayma
- Technology August 23, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Low cost foot orthosis wins Aneesh Karma wins Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Singer Mika apologizes to nation
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News