This card helps children with autism introduce themselves in social situations
Social situations often leave people with autism overwhelmed. Children with autism especially find communication and social interaction challenging.
To help them cope better in such situations, Together Foundation, an NGO in Mumbai, has come up with a tool.
Sangeetha Chakrapani, who runs Together Foundation, knows how necessary such a tool is. As a parent of two teenagers with autism, she has experienced these challenges.
People with autism have issues with sensory processing. They are unable to take multiple inputs at one time. In a party situation, where there are many people and lots of noises, it can be even more unsettling.
Chakrapani has designed a Social Introduction Card. A child with autism can hand out the card to anyone who wishes to know more about them.
It tells the world their names, their age, how autism makes them unique, what they do, what they like, and how one can be friends with them. On the other side of the card is a calendar that anyone can use.
The card takes the pressure off children and their parents in unfamiliar or awkward social situations. It also helps people connect with them better.
The card also explains that autism is a lifelong developmental disability and that people with autism look at the world in a different way.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events February 21, 2019 Free Medical Camp
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Saudi Arabia Crown in India to strengthen ties
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Salman Khan donates for families of Pulwama martyrs
- Get-hooked February 15, 2019 Parenting Corner - Autism in girls
- Get-hooked February 21, 2019 #LovePossible - Newlyweds Shilpa & Danish Mahajan are setting serious couple goals
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Kashmir Valley shuts down after terror attack
- Headlines February 17, 2019 Vande Bharat Express breaks down a day after launch
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked February 7, 2019
Get-hooked February 9, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News