This card helps children with autism introduce themselves in social situations
Social situations often leave people with autism overwhelmed. Children with autism especially find communication and social interaction challenging.
To help them cope better in such situations, Together Foundation, an NGO in Mumbai, has come up with a tool.
Sangeetha Chakrapani, who runs Together Foundation, knows how necessary such a tool is. As a parent of two teenagers with autism, she has experienced these challenges.
People with autism have issues with sensory processing. They are unable to take multiple inputs at one time. In a party situation, where there are many people and lots of noises, it can be even more unsettling.
Chakrapani has designed a Social Introduction Card. A child with autism can hand out the card to anyone who wishes to know more about them.
It tells the world their names, their age, how autism makes them unique, what they do, what they like, and how one can be friends with them. On the other side of the card is a calendar that anyone can use.
The card takes the pressure off children and their parents in unfamiliar or awkward social situations. It also helps people connect with them better.
The card also explains that autism is a lifelong developmental disability and that people with autism look at the world in a different way.
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Virat gets booed by fans in Australia, 'not done' says former Aussie player
- Headlines December 12, 2018 Shaktikanta Das to succeed Urjit Patel as RBI governor
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Miracle on Wheels is transforming lives of thousands of wheelchair users in India
- Headlines December 11, 2018 RBI Governor Urjit Patel resigns
- Get-hooked December 11, 2018 New study highlights importance of building motor skills in kids with autism
- Get-hooked December 10, 2018 4% job reservation for disabled people announced in Goa
- Get-hooked December 16, 2018 Empowerment of disabled women was the focus of cross disability workshops in Kerala
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018