People with disabilities to be employed in the task force of Kerala Tourism
Kerala Tourism will post 1,000 tourism resource persons (TRP) as part of a responsible tourism (RT) initiative. They will organize tourism gram sabhas and promote destinations at the grassroots level.
Two disabled people and a trans person will be among the TRPs to be appointed in 14 districts.
No previous experience is needed for people from these two categories. Norms on educational qualifications have been relaxed for them. People who have completed class 12 can apply.
General applicants will only be considered for these jobs if there are not enough candidates from these two categories.
The move is part of the State Tourism Policy 2017 that wants people with disabilities and transgenders to play an active role in promoting tourism.
The TRPs have to play a major role at the grassroots level to achieve the target of 100% increase in arrival of foreign tourists. A target of a 50% increase has been set for domestic tourists by 2022.
To begin with, 750 TRPs in the age group of 18 to 65 years will be appointed.
A two-day training will be given in Thiruvananthapuram, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Wayanad, and Kozhikode from 3 May.
They will have to organize 1,000 tourism gram sabhas, take up resource mapping, organize tours, and assist tourism entrepreneurs and investors. They will also act as tour leaders and help promote village-life experience tour packages.
Of the 750 TRPs, 60 each will be posted in Thiruvananthapuram, Idukki and Kannur, 55 each in Kottayam, Ernakulam, Kozhikode, and Kasaragod, and 50 each in Kollam, Alappuzha, Pathanamthitta, Thrissur, Palakkad, Malappuram, and Wayanad.
Watch in Sign Language
- Program by DFID-UK, SCPwD & National Star College-UK equips trainers with strategies to promote workplace inclusion
February 10, 2019
- Workshop on disability confidence at the workplace sees frank exchange of ideas
February 4, 2019
- Latest study points out only 36% of disabled people in India are employed
February 4, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines February 20, 2019 Two jets crash ahead of Bengaluru Aero India event, one pilot dies
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Disability rights body seeks Health Minister's intervention to overturn guidelines that discriminate against MBBS aspirants
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 13, 2019 Ticket prices reduced for India’s fastest train
- Headlines February 13, 2019 17 people killed in fire that broke out at Delhi hotel
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Accessibility February 18, 2019 Kozhikode Art Gallery under fire for blocking access to wheelchair users
- Events February 13, 2019 Job Oriented Preparatory Workshop for persons with disabilities
- Get-hooked February 17, 2019 Understanding Rett Syndrome
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News