People with disabilities to be employed in the task force of Kerala Tourism
April 16, 2018
Kerala Tourism will post 1,000 tourism resource persons (TRP) as part of a responsible tourism (RT) initiative. They will organize tourism gram sabhas and promote destinations at the grassroots level.
Two disabled people and a trans person will be among the TRPs to be appointed in 14 districts.
No previous experience is needed for people from these two categories. Norms on educational qualifications have been relaxed for them. People who have completed class 12 can apply.
General applicants will only be considered for these jobs if there are not enough candidates from these two categories.
The move is part of the State Tourism Policy 2017 that wants people with disabilities and transgenders to play an active role in promoting tourism.
The TRPs have to play a major role at the grassroots level to achieve the target of 100% increase in arrival of foreign tourists. A target of a 50% increase has been set for domestic tourists by 2022.
To begin with, 750 TRPs in the age group of 18 to 65 years will be appointed.
A two-day training will be given in Thiruvananthapuram, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Wayanad, and Kozhikode from 3 May.
They will have to organize 1,000 tourism gram sabhas, take up resource mapping, organize tours, and assist tourism entrepreneurs and investors. They will also act as tour leaders and help promote village-life experience tour packages.
Of the 750 TRPs, 60 each will be posted in Thiruvananthapuram, Idukki and Kannur, 55 each in Kottayam, Ernakulam, Kozhikode, and Kasaragod, and 50 each in Kollam, Alappuzha, Pathanamthitta, Thrissur, Palakkad, Malappuram, and Wayanad.
Watch in Sign Language
- Western Railways’ monsoon helpdesks for disabled people, elderly are a winning idea
July 15, 2019
- Trichy Central Library brings written word alive for new audiences with a section for deaf readers
July 13, 2019
- Coimbatore City Municipal Corporation gets set to make buildings accessible
July 12, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events July 16, 2019 Trek to Chandratal Baralacha La
- Events July 11, 2019 Special buddies program (Basic group)
- Get-hooked July 16, 2019 Some tips to help a child with Down syndrome sleep better
- Technology July 11, 2019 #TechThursdays - TouchVision SmartStand promises to be a game changer for visually impaired people
- Events July 16, 2019 Open Voices Conference
- Employment July 12, 2019 These disabled women are making prosthetic aids that are enabling mobility for others
- Get-hooked July 15, 2019 Saswati Singh's efforts to empower people with disabilities takes off as Nav Prerna Foundation
- Headlines July 13, 2019 Kangana accuses media of defamation
- Headlines July 11, 2019 Kangana faces boycott threat from media
- Technology July 16, 2019 Research offers hope for restoring sight in acid attack victims
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News