Free e-rickshaw service for disabled students to be started on Punjab university campus
April 17, 2018
The Punjab University (PU) has said that e-rickshaw service will be provided for free to disabled students on the campus.
The service was earlier given for free to only poor disabled students. Now it has been made free for all.
The e-rickshaw service was started on the PU campus in May 2016 at a fixed rate of Rs 10 per trip.
The Punjab University Campus Students' Council (PUCSC) had asked that the service be made free for physically disabled as well as blind students. This was approved, but only for poor students with over 40% disability.
However since no one came forward, a fresh order has been issued making it free for all physically disabled students.
The Chief Medical Officer of the PU health centre will certify the disability of the students and issue cards or certificates for the facility. Students who want the concession will have to apply to the office of the Dean Student Welfare (DSW) through the chairperson of their respective department.
The cost for providing students with the facility will be calculated on the basis of the number of applications received. This will then be reimbursed to the firm operating the e-rickshaws.
Authorities have also started building ramps at the students' centre.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Accessibility April 20, 2019 In a first, residents of a mental health centre in Chennai cast their votes. Here's how it happened
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Parasports April 17, 2019 London will now host the ninth World Para Swimming Championship
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 21, 2019 Sadhvi Pragya retracts remark about 26/11 martyr
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 #GetMoneywise - Financial planning mistakes parents with disabled children typically make
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News