Free e-rickshaw service for disabled students to be started on Punjab university campus
The Punjab University (PU) has said that e-rickshaw service will be provided for free to disabled students on the campus.
The service was earlier given for free to only poor disabled students. Now it has been made free for all.
The e-rickshaw service was started on the PU campus in May 2016 at a fixed rate of Rs 10 per trip.
The Punjab University Campus Students’ Council (PUCSC) had asked that the service be made free for physically disabled as well as blind students. This was approved, but only for poor students with over 40% disability.
However since no one came forward, a fresh order has been issued making it free for all physically disabled students.
The Chief Medical Officer of the PU health centre will certify the disability of the students and issue cards or certificates for the facility. Students who want the concession will have to apply to the office of the Dean Student Welfare (DSW) through the chairperson of their respective department.
The cost for providing students with the facility will be calculated on the basis of the number of applications received. This will then be reimbursed to the firm operating the e-rickshaws.
Authorities have also started building ramps at the students’ centre.
Watch in Sign Language
- Understanding Rett Syndrome
February 17, 2019
- Wheelchair etiquettes matter. Here is how to follow them.
February 17, 2019
- #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
February 16, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility February 12, 2019 Munambam Beach in Kerala all set to become disabled-friendly
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Coming national election may be boycotted by Maharashtra's deaf community
- Events February 14, 2019 Medical Camp - Children with Disability & Mental Health Problems
- Get-hooked February 14, 2019 Barbie goes inclusive, launches line of dolls with disabilities
- Accessibility February 17, 2019 Accessible parking still remains distant dream for people with disabilities
- Events February 17, 2019 Mumbai Memory Cafe- Session 3
- Headlines February 14, 2019 IndiGo cancels 30 flights, more to follow
- Headlines February 15, 2019 40 soldiers killed in J&K attack
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Valentine’s Day plans - NewzHook readers share some ideas
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News