Free e-rickshaw service for disabled students to be started on Punjab university campus
April 17, 2018
The Punjab University (PU) has said that e-rickshaw service will be provided for free to disabled students on the campus.
The service was earlier given for free to only poor disabled students. Now it has been made free for all.
The e-rickshaw service was started on the PU campus in May 2016 at a fixed rate of Rs 10 per trip.
The Punjab University Campus Students' Council (PUCSC) had asked that the service be made free for physically disabled as well as blind students. This was approved, but only for poor students with over 40% disability.
However since no one came forward, a fresh order has been issued making it free for all physically disabled students.
The Chief Medical Officer of the PU health centre will certify the disability of the students and issue cards or certificates for the facility. Students who want the concession will have to apply to the office of the Dean Student Welfare (DSW) through the chairperson of their respective department.
The cost for providing students with the facility will be calculated on the basis of the number of applications received. This will then be reimbursed to the firm operating the e-rickshaws.
Authorities have also started building ramps at the students' centre.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Nominations for 2019 NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are open
- Headlines June 13, 2019 Outrage over Pakistani ad mocking Indian pilot
- Get-hooked June 14, 2019 Wheelchair no barrier for a fit & healthy lifestyle, here's why
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 Tyre maker Goodyear partners with NAB to conduct road safety training in Delhi for blind people
- Get-hooked June 15, 2019 Parenting Corner- Food Aversion and Autism
- Headlines June 14, 2019 PM Modi tells ministers to get to work on time
- Headlines June 15, 2019 Pakistan under pressure ahead of India match
- Events June 13, 2019 ABBF Weekend Cycle Ride
- Events June 11, 2019 Nurturing The Green Week’ 2019 - World Environment day
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News