Niramaya - Health Insurance for people with disabilities
April 17, 2018
Today we look at Niramaya, one of the schemes under the National Trust Act for people with disabilities.
This scheme offers affordable health insurance to people with autism, cerebral palsy, and multiple disabilities.
- Health insurance cover of up to Rs one lakh on the basis of reimbursement.
- Single premium across age band.
- Provide same coverage irrespective of the type of disability covered under the National Trust Act
- Covers transportation costs
- No pre-insurance medical tests required
- Scheme available across India, except Jammu & Kashmir
Eligibility for Niramaya
- All persons with disabilities under the National Trust Act with valid disability certificate will be eligible and included
- OPD treatment covered including medicines, pathology, diagnostic tests, regular medical checkups for non-ailing disabled people, dental preventive dentistry, surgery to prevent further aggravation of disability, corrective surgeries for existing disability, including congenital disability, therapies to reduce impact of disability and disability related complications, and alternative medicine.
- Treatment can be taken from any hospital
How to enrol
- Apply for enrolment in the prescribed format given on the website and submit it to the nearest organization registered with the National Trust or to any other agency approved by the National Trust
- On successful enrolment and approval, Health ID No./ card will be issued to each beneficiary. An e-card can be printed from website
- Nominal processing fee as determined from time to time to be paid to National Trust
- Both the fresh enrolment and renewal will be from the enrolment date with the insurance company to the end of the financial year. Any beneficiary enrolled during any month of the financial year will be covered upto 31 March.
Documents for enrolment
- Disability certificate from district hospital or appropriate government authority
- Address proof
- One passport size photograph of the disabled person
- BPL card, if applicable
- Income certificate (Latest IT return, or income certificate from tehsildar
- Proof of payment of applicable fee (Bank receipt)
- Bank details for settlement of claims
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Finance Minister to present budget on 5 July
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Headlines June 22, 2019 Injury scares hit Indian cricket team
- Events June 27, 2019 Thalassemia Detection Camp
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Rahul Gandhi firm on quitting as Congress chief
- Get-hooked June 25, 2019 Snehankit Helpline for visually impaired students is helping them shine in academics
- Employment June 27, 2019 Diya Innovations opens doors of opportunities for adults with disabilities
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Education June 20, 2019 #ChangeMakers - An idol to many, Elizabeth Philip keeps inspiring through her relentless work
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News