Meet the first blind judge of Rajasthan
April 17, 2018
31-year-old Brahmananda Sharma is the first visually impaired judge of Rajasthan.
Sharma lost his vision at the age of 22 years due to glaucoma. He had always wanted to be a judge and did not let the loss of eyesight stop him.
Sharma belongs to the Bhilwara region and completed his education at a government-run school.
He appeared for the Rajasthan Judicial Services Examination in 2013 and cleared the test in the very first attempt. He scored a high rank of 83 in the competitive exam.
He is now serving as a civil judge and judicial magistrate in Sarwar, a town in Ajmer district.
Sharma is a fine example of how strong will and dedication can help battle any barrier.
Coaching centers were not willing to admit him because of his disability. His family helped him prepare for the examination.
Sharma uses an e-speak device that is connected to a computer. The device converts and records the notes made by a reader into speech.
The blind judge listens to the recordings of statements and arguments made by witnesses and lawyers.
His staff and other lawyers are awed by his intelligence and dedication to duty.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Uber India apology to disability rights activist not enough, call for concrete measures
- Accessibility June 24, 2019 Buttons 2 Button is an adaptive clothing idea straight from a mom's heart
- Parasports June 21, 2019 Ahead of Physical Disability World Series, allegations of bias against selectors
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events June 20, 2019 With This Ability - Comedy and Conversation with Sweta Mantrii
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Social media thread highlights barriers faced by disabled candidates at exam halls across India
- Get-hooked June 21, 2019 Some effective yoga poses for wheelchair users
- Accessibility June 22, 2019 With no hearing test facility at Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital, disabled students miss NEET counselling
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News