Goa State Central Library to become accessible to people with vision & hearing disabilities
The Goa State Central Library has over 2.5 lakh books, which is an extensive collection.
However access to the library has been difficult for people with disabilities. Now, in a move to make it inclusive, the library will offer facilities to people with vision and hearing disabilities by way of establishing a resource center.
Library authorities are looking at ways to improve the library’s services for the inclusion of people with disabilities. The resource center will enable disabled people to enter in wheelchairs, use audio books, and also have assistive devices to help them in reading and sharing information.
The Supreme Court had recently passed an order directing the central government and state governments to make public spaces accessible and inclusive to people with disabilities.
The Goa State Central Library recently received a grant of Rs 20 lakh under the National Mission on Libraries initiated by the Ministry of Culture for the establishment of a resource center.
People with disabilities will be able to use audio books, screen readers, computers with talk-back feature, tectonic maps, Braille books, and different types of lenses.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment January 22, 2019 At India Business Disability Network launch, industry leaders champion workplace inclusion
- Accessibility January 18, 2019 Goa Carnival 2019 promises to be wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Headlines January 22, 2019 'Uri: The Surgical Strike' becomes the 1st hit of 2019
- Parasports January 20, 2019 Samarthanam Trust, Pinkathon to.organize ultra-marathon for visually impaired people
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Amazon Great Indian Sale is here
- Events January 19, 2019 Workshop on Secrets to Deal with ADHD Children
- Headlines January 22, 2019 WhatsApp sets limit on forwarding messages to stop spread of rumors
- Headlines January 18, 2019 India to face Australia in ODI final today
- Headlines January 20, 2019 Kerala government claims 51 women entered Sabarimala since last September
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News