Goa State Central Library to become accessible to people with vision & hearing disabilities
The Goa State Central Library has over 2.5 lakh books, which is an extensive collection.
However access to the library has been difficult for people with disabilities. Now, in a move to make it inclusive, the library will offer facilities to people with vision and hearing disabilities by way of establishing a resource center.
Library authorities are looking at ways to improve the library’s services for the inclusion of people with disabilities. The resource center will enable disabled people to enter in wheelchairs, use audio books, and also have assistive devices to help them in reading and sharing information.
The Supreme Court had recently passed an order directing the central government and state governments to make public spaces accessible and inclusive to people with disabilities.
The Goa State Central Library recently received a grant of Rs 20 lakh under the National Mission on Libraries initiated by the Ministry of Culture for the establishment of a resource center.
People with disabilities will be able to use audio books, screen readers, computers with talk-back feature, tectonic maps, Braille books, and different types of lenses.
Watch in Sign Language
- Filmmaker Rustom Irani to explore legal options against Jet Airways for alleged manhandling on flight
November 16, 2018
- Lack of clarity on revised admission norms leaves disabled students & parents groping in the dark
November 15, 2018
- This music teacher's video tutorials are bringing songs alive for people who are deaf & hard of hearing
November 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Deepika & Ranveer leave for Italy for wedding next week
- Headlines November 11, 2018 Facebook launches TikTok like app called 'Lasso'
- Headlines November 15, 2018 Supreme Court to hear review petitions for Sabarimala issue on 22 January
- Get-hooked November 12, 2018 Some activities for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Get-hooked November 11, 2018 Stephen Hawking's wheelchair & thesis fetch over $1 million at auction
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Small touches that make love stronger when you date a deaf person
- Headlines November 14, 2018 Prime Minister Modi launches projects over ₹2,400 crore in Varanasi
- Get-hooked November 17, 2018 Inclusive ferry ride outing in Mumbai for visually impaired fun seekers
- Get-hooked November 14, 2018 Unni Maxx talks about his vacation at the paradise of South Africa
- Headlines November 13, 2018 Rohit Sharma in list of batsmen with over 200 boundaries in T20Is
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News