Goa State Central Library to become accessible to people with vision & hearing disabilities
April 18, 2018
The Goa State Central Library has over 2.5 lakh books, which is an extensive collection.
However access to the library has been difficult for people with disabilities. Now, in a move to make it inclusive, the library will offer facilities to people with vision and hearing disabilities by way of establishing a resource center.
Library authorities are looking at ways to improve the library's services for the inclusion of people with disabilities. The resource center will enable disabled people to enter in wheelchairs, use audio books, and also have assistive devices to help them in reading and sharing information.
The Supreme Court had recently passed an order directing the central government and state governments to make public spaces accessible and inclusive to people with disabilities.
The Goa State Central Library recently received a grant of Rs 20 lakh under the National Mission on Libraries initiated by the Ministry of Culture for the establishment of a resource center.
People with disabilities will be able to use audio books, screen readers, computers with talk-back feature, tectonic maps, Braille books, and different types of lenses.
Watch in Sign Language
- PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
March 25, 2019
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Headlines March 23, 2019 Congress leader Sam Pitroda questions airstrike in Balakot
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Get-hooked March 22, 2019 National award winner, dancer & sportsman, all-rounder Akshay inspires youngsters
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Headlines March 25, 2019 Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 ‘Chaya’, a theatre performance by wheelchair users in Kerala, becomes grand success
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News