Goa State Central Library to become accessible to people with vision & hearing disabilities
April 18, 2018
The Goa State Central Library has over 2.5 lakh books, which is an extensive collection.
However access to the library has been difficult for people with disabilities. Now, in a move to make it inclusive, the library will offer facilities to people with vision and hearing disabilities by way of establishing a resource center.
Library authorities are looking at ways to improve the library's services for the inclusion of people with disabilities. The resource center will enable disabled people to enter in wheelchairs, use audio books, and also have assistive devices to help them in reading and sharing information.
The Supreme Court had recently passed an order directing the central government and state governments to make public spaces accessible and inclusive to people with disabilities.
The Goa State Central Library recently received a grant of Rs 20 lakh under the National Mission on Libraries initiated by the Ministry of Culture for the establishment of a resource center.
People with disabilities will be able to use audio books, screen readers, computers with talk-back feature, tectonic maps, Braille books, and different types of lenses.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Former union Minister P Chidambaram in CBI custody until Monday
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Parenting Corner- Motivating children
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Kerala minister K K Shailaja steps in for deaf child affected in the floods
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Alleged sexual harassment of child with autism in Kerala highlights need for tougher rules
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Events August 21, 2019 Workshop on Nayi Disha Resource Library
- Accessibility August 16, 2019 Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
- Headlines August 22, 2019 Ex-minister P Chidambaram arrested
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News