Goa State Central Library to become accessible to people with vision & hearing disabilities
April 18, 2018
The Goa State Central Library has over 2.5 lakh books, which is an extensive collection.
However access to the library has been difficult for people with disabilities. Now, in a move to make it inclusive, the library will offer facilities to people with vision and hearing disabilities by way of establishing a resource center.
Library authorities are looking at ways to improve the library's services for the inclusion of people with disabilities. The resource center will enable disabled people to enter in wheelchairs, use audio books, and also have assistive devices to help them in reading and sharing information.
The Supreme Court had recently passed an order directing the central government and state governments to make public spaces accessible and inclusive to people with disabilities.
The Goa State Central Library recently received a grant of Rs 20 lakh under the National Mission on Libraries initiated by the Ministry of Culture for the establishment of a resource center.
People with disabilities will be able to use audio books, screen readers, computers with talk-back feature, tectonic maps, Braille books, and different types of lenses.
Watch in Sign Language
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
- Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 23, 2019 India launches new spy satellite
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Mamata's nephew sends defamation notice to PM
- Accessibility May 21, 2019 Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Accessibility May 23, 2019 Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
- Accessibility May 22, 2019 Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Headlines May 19, 2019 PM Modi responds to title of 'Divider in Chief'
- Headlines May 24, 2019 World leaders congratulate PM Modi
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News