Inclusion was truly the spirit at the Commonwealth Games 2018!
April 18, 2018
The Commonwealth Games that happened in 2018 at Gold Coast in Australia was a remarkable event that was all about inclusion.
This year, there were 300 para-athletes that took part in the sports event. This was 73% higher than the number of para-athletes that participated in the last Commonwealth Games at Glasgow.
Australian para-athlete Kailyn Jospeh says that she had a great experience at the Commonwealth Games. The 15-year-old para-athlete who has cerebral palsy is a long jumper from Australia. She gleams with happiness when she speaks about how her country did well at the Commonwealth Games.
The reason why Kailyn felt even happier is that she has not felt the sense of inclusion anywhere else! The para-athlete says that she is happy that people are recognizing her for her talents and is not merely noticing her for her disability.
The last 11 days at the Commonwealth Games witnessed para-athletes and abled-bodied athletes come together for the love of sports. The trophies for both categories were kept on the same table showing what inclusion really is!
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Employment June 17, 2019 SAI Bakery offers adults with developmental disabilities space to bond & learn
- Events June 20, 2019 Workshop on Behaviour Therapy
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Celebrate Autism Pride Day, every day
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Sherin & Neerada’s deep bond of friendship is rooted in understanding & respect
- Get-hooked June 19, 2019 At this Chennai grocery shop, people with autism show their skills at customer service
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 Does parenting change with changing eyesight? - Guest column by Vineet Saraiwala
- Accessibility June 17, 2019 New foldable ramp at Chennai buses get mixed response
- Get-hooked June 17, 2019 These surprise gift boxes by Little Trovebox has people hooked
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Acid attack survivors hope SRK's support will lend greater focus to their campaign
- Get-hooked June 18, 2019 Seeking a friend or life partner? Register at this meet up
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News