Some tips on supporting families with kids on the autism spectrum
April is Autism Awareness Month. With several studies pointing to the rising numbers of children on the autism spectrum in India, it is important to become better informed.
So, here are some tips on how to be more considerate towards families with kids on the spectrum.
- Be Supportive - Take the time out to make a phone call, invite them over, or offer a shoulder to cry on. Celebrate the achievements and success. Avoid being critical and above all, do not lecture.
- Educate yourself - Learn more about the disorder. Contact people in the local autism community to understand better.
- Use kind, socially accepted language - Treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Speak in a kind, loving and supportive way. Avoid using discriminatory language. Choose words with tact.
- Teach your children - Understanding begins at home. Don't let your child be a bully. Start talking to your child now about the importance of accepting differences.
- Empathize - Be kind, patient, and supportive. Offer positive support, not doubt and judgements.