Some tips on supporting families with kids on the autism spectrum
April 20, 2018
April is Autism Awareness Month. With several studies pointing to the rising numbers of children on the autism spectrum in India, it is important to become better informed.
So, here are some tips on how to be more considerate towards families with kids on the spectrum.
- Be Supportive - Take the time out to make a phone call, invite them over, or offer a shoulder to cry on. Celebrate the achievements and success. Avoid being critical and above all, do not lecture.
- Educate yourself - Learn more about the disorder. Contact people in the local autism community to understand better.
- Use kind, socially accepted language - Treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Speak in a kind, loving and supportive way. Avoid using discriminatory language. Choose words with tact.
- Teach your children - Understanding begins at home. Don't let your child be a bully. Start talking to your child now about the importance of accepting differences.
- Empathize - Be kind, patient, and supportive. Offer positive support, not doubt and judgements.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 14, 2019 Court asks ministries to respond to PIL challenging separate ID cards for rail concessions for disabled people
- Get-hooked March 19, 2019 My disability taught me to unlock my potential - My Take by Dhanya Ravi
- Technology March 14, 2019 With Inali Arm, developer Prashant Gade aims to change the outlook of people with upper limb disabilities
- Get-hooked March 20, 2019 "We all have a Javed Abidi inside us": Shameer Rishad talks about the Javed Abidi Foundation
- Events March 20, 2019 Downs syndrome free assessment camp
- Accessibility March 19, 2019 Rising Star Tours & Travels is helping visually impaired people experience the magic of new places
- Get-hooked March 14, 2019 Madras High Court directs implementation of 3% job quota for disabled people, activists unhappy
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Need more movies to portray disability in a sensitive manner, say activists
- Get-hooked March 15, 2019 First PM Modi, now Mamata Banerjee shocks & offends with comments about mental disability
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked March 16, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News