Some tips on supporting families with kids on the autism spectrum
April is Autism Awareness Month. With several studies pointing to the rising numbers of children on the autism spectrum in India, it is important to become better informed.
So, here are some tips on how to be more considerate towards families with kids on the spectrum.
- Be Supportive - Take the time out to make a phone call, invite them over, or offer a shoulder to cry on. Celebrate the achievements and success. Avoid being critical and above all, do not lecture.
- Educate yourself - Learn more about the disorder. Contact people in the local autism community to understand better.
- Use kind, socially accepted language - Treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Speak in a kind, loving and supportive way. Avoid using discriminatory language. Choose words with tact.
- Teach your children - Understanding begins at home. Don't let your child be a bully. Start talking to your child now about the importance of accepting differences.
- Empathize - Be kind, patient, and supportive. Offer positive support, not doubt and judgements.
Watch in Sign Language
- Some common misconceptions about Braille
January 24, 2019
- Some things to avoid when you parent a child with autism
January 23, 2019
- The Headway Foundation's annual Rendezvous promises some exciting announcements
January 23, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked January 19, 2019 Trending stories on Newzhook this week!
- Events January 18, 2019 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Headlines January 23, 2019 3 top cricket awards for Virat in 2018
- Headlines January 21, 2019 Senior BJP leader makes offensive remarks about Mayawati
- Headlines January 22, 2019 Uri: The Surgical Strike is 2019's 1st hit
- Get-hooked January 22, 2019 Wheelchair artists in Kerala to stage Chaya, 1st of its kind theatre performance
- Accessibility January 24, 2019 Disability groups fume over Supreme Court order on "reasonable sight, hearing, speech faculties" for judicial officer
- Technology January 23, 2019 Inspiration is just a phone call away thanks to EnAble Vaani
- Get-hooked January 17, 2019 Bhopal is hosting Deaf Festival 2019, know more
- Headlines January 17, 2019 Tributes for Dhoni after great show against Australia
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked January 15, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News