Some tips on supporting families with kids on the autism spectrum
April 20, 2018
April is Autism Awareness Month. With several studies pointing to the rising numbers of children on the autism spectrum in India, it is important to become better informed.
So, here are some tips on how to be more considerate towards families with kids on the spectrum.
- Be Supportive - Take the time out to make a phone call, invite them over, or offer a shoulder to cry on. Celebrate the achievements and success. Avoid being critical and above all, do not lecture.
- Educate yourself - Learn more about the disorder. Contact people in the local autism community to understand better.
- Use kind, socially accepted language - Treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Speak in a kind, loving and supportive way. Avoid using discriminatory language. Choose words with tact.
- Teach your children - Understanding begins at home. Don't let your child be a bully. Start talking to your child now about the importance of accepting differences.
- Empathize - Be kind, patient, and supportive. Offer positive support, not doubt and judgements.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Get-hooked May 22, 2019 Experts claim music therapy helps enhance critical skills in children with autism
- Headlines May 18, 2019 Irfan signs up for Carribean Premier League players draft
- Accessibility May 16, 2019 #TechThursdays - Remote-controlled toilet bed is a life saver for people bedridden due to disability
- Parasports May 20, 2019 Passion for sports keeps Amresh's spirits up through the worst of times
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 Music knows no boundaries so why barriers at concert venues, ask disabled music lovers
- Headlines May 16, 2019 CRPF bans jawans from playing PUBG game
- Parasports May 22, 2019 Para swimmers to battle sharks, icy waters in Catalina Channel, aim for Ocean Seven challenge
- Headlines May 19, 2019 Seventh & final phase of voting in general elections today
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News