Some tips on supporting families with kids on the autism spectrum
April 20, 2018
April is Autism Awareness Month. With several studies pointing to the rising numbers of children on the autism spectrum in India, it is important to become better informed.
So, here are some tips on how to be more considerate towards families with kids on the spectrum.
- Be Supportive - Take the time out to make a phone call, invite them over, or offer a shoulder to cry on. Celebrate the achievements and success. Avoid being critical and above all, do not lecture.
- Educate yourself - Learn more about the disorder. Contact people in the local autism community to understand better.
- Use kind, socially accepted language - Treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Speak in a kind, loving and supportive way. Avoid using discriminatory language. Choose words with tact.
- Teach your children - Understanding begins at home. Don't let your child be a bully. Start talking to your child now about the importance of accepting differences.
- Empathize - Be kind, patient, and supportive. Offer positive support, not doubt and judgements.
Watch in Sign Language
- Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
August 26, 2019
- Entrepreneur Prateeek Khandelwal’s accessibility campaign #RampMyCity spreads wings across India
August 26, 2019
- Blind student in Delhi threatened & robbed, Delhi Police slammed for failure to respond
August 25, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-Hooked August 26, 2019 Differences in viewpoints must be respected. - Guest Column by Tapas Bharadwaj
- Events August 22, 2019 Ganesha Making Workshop
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Lifestyle August 22, 2019 Kurtas for men - Feast your eyes on some amazing designs
- Get-Hooked August 21, 2019 14 year old Joel Biju has overcome a disability to finish over 1000 paintings in one year
- Accessibility August 20, 2019 Ministry advisory on accessible public transport raises more questions
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Events August 21, 2019 GO PLAY - A Parent Education Program
- Technology August 22, 2019 #InclusionChamps – Prashant Gade wins Universal Design Award 2019 for Inali Arm
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News