Some tips on supporting families with kids on the autism spectrum
April is Autism Awareness Month. With several studies pointing to the rising numbers of children on the autism spectrum in India, it is important to become better informed.
So, here are some tips on how to be more considerate towards families with kids on the spectrum.
- Be Supportive - Take the time out to make a phone call, invite them over, or offer a shoulder to cry on. Celebrate the achievements and success. Avoid being critical and above all, do not lecture.
- Educate yourself - Learn more about the disorder. Contact people in the local autism community to understand better.
- Use kind, socially accepted language - Treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Speak in a kind, loving and supportive way. Avoid using discriminatory language. Choose words with tact.
- Teach your children - Understanding begins at home. Don't let your child be a bully. Start talking to your child now about the importance of accepting differences.
- Empathize - Be kind, patient, and supportive. Offer positive support, not doubt and judgements.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events October 19, 2018 Knowledge sharing Open Session On Career Planning by BGFI
- Headlines October 23, 2018 Kerala nun rape case - Key witness found dead, foul play alleged
- Parasports October 17, 2018 India's para badminton players show their mettle in the Asian Para Games
- Accessibility October 22, 2018 Making gardening fun for wheelchair users
- Headlines October 18, 2018 Armed mobs attack women journalists near Sabrimala temple
- Education October 20, 2018 Some ways to help kids with autism prepare for exams
- Get-hooked October 17, 2018 Sudeep Shukla, India's first deaf MLA candidate looks forward to making history
- Get-hooked October 21, 2018 Indian Sign Language gets to wider audience, thanks to GiftAbled Foundation
- Parasports October 23, 2018 Mumbai to host first national throwball & swimming camp this week
- Get-hooked October 22, 2018 What matters is how we run the race - Guest Column by Vineet Saraiwala, visually impaired marathoner
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Get-hooked October 18, 2018
Get-hooked October 21, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News