Corporates in Odisha must hire more disabled people, say disability groups in the state
April 21, 2018
Disability organizations from Odisha have asked companies based in the state to hire more disabled people into their workforce.
The talents of disabled people go unnoticed because they do not have an opportunity to showcase them. The government is also putting efforts from their side for the welfare of people with disabilities in the state of Odisha.
Nitin Chandra, Secretary, Department of Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (SSEPD), said that the skills of disabled people must be tapped at the earliest. According to the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, 2016, Act, 5% quota is provided for disabled people in corporate companies. But many are still hesitant to hire disabled people.
Five companies were felicitated for hiring disabled people as part of their workforce. GINGER Hotels, Reliance Industries (Retail) Ltd, KARVY Data Management Services Pvt Ltd, Future Group (Big Bazaar) and Computer LAB Pvt Ltd. have hired disabled people and provided them with diversified roles in their organizations.
Watch in Sign Language
- Kerala government’s Kaivalya Project yet to take off, disability rights groups disappointed
March 18, 2019
- Saarathee's employees are showing India that disability is just a matter of perception
March 11, 2019
- Handicrops, India's first company founded by disabled people, set to spread outside Kerala
March 10, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 A unique session on STEM education for blind students
- Accessibility March 22, 2019 Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Amazon move to remove books spreading misinformation about autism gets a thumbs up
- Get-hooked March 24, 2019 Understanding Ataxia
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Parenting Corner- Potty Training Children with Down syndrome
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Headlines March 18, 2019 New Zealand attack - 3 men from Hyderabad among 50 killed
- Headlines March 25, 2019 Death toll from Cyclone Idai in South Africa rises
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News