5 things to remember when traveling with a person with disability
April 23, 2018
Traveling with people with disabilities has become easier now thanks to technology.
However, when you are traveling with a disabled person, its good to keep some do's and dont's in mind.
Here are some tips from Jumia Travel, which is a leading online travel agency.
- Choose your destination carefully - Make sure your choice of destination is fit for a person with a disability. Make sure its not a place where you need to walk a lot or climb many stairs. So plan your destination and the route that you will take properly.
- Book ahead of time - Book your flight well ahead of time and inform the staff of the airline that you are using that you will be traveling with a person with a disability. This way you can avoid the luggage checks, long lines, and waiting time. You will be able to proceed through the lines prioritizing people with disabilities.
- Do your research - People with disabilities are prioritized in many places. They are given a number of privileges in hotels, restaurants, and other facilities due to their disability. They are also given amenities and lanes solely for them so they can travel with convenience. Do your research to discover some of these places and do not hesitate to take advantage of them.
- Consult a doctor - Certain activities may not be allowed for a particular disabled person. You must first consult a doctor if your trip may cause harm to your companion with special needs. Always carry additional pieces of medicines that will be prescribed by the doctor.
- Stay in accessible areas - Avoid staying and going into remote areas or to places that are far from the center of your destination. Make sure you are located close enough to establishments and hospitals. This way if there is am emergency, you can provide your companion with treatment soon.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility April 21, 2019 Kozhikode Collectorate introduces facilities for accessible elections
- Accessibility April 16, 2019 "Court order should set a model for others with mental disabilities", says Bengal MBBS aspirant Tathagata Ghosh
- Get-hooked April 21, 2019 #AutismPower - Julia's family feature all through April on popular show Sesame Street
- Events April 18, 2019 Special Summer Camp
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 #AutismPower - Mumbai's Cafe Arpan is brewing a change, along with great coffee
- Get-hooked April 19, 2019 Upcoming film 'Mental Hai Kya' starring Kangana, Rajkummar angers mental health experts
- Headlines April 14, 2019 Amitabh Bachchan pays 70 crore tax
- Headlines April 18, 2019 Voting in second phase of elections today
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Headlines April 19, 2019 Congress spokesperson attacks her party
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News