Delhi High Court tells state government to make pavements in Delhi University accessible in 4 weeks
April 21, 2018
The Delhi High Court has directed the Delhi state government, police, and municipal corporation of north Delhi to take immediate action to make pavements in Delhi University's North Campus disabled friendly within four weeks.
The high court noted that the pavements in the North Campus were inaccessible to people with disabilities.
This is especially in the case of people with vision impairments given the obstacles such as traffic lights, police posts, trees, and shops in the middle of footpaths.
The court said this after examining photographs and a report filed by the NGO, Nipman Foundation, that works to improve health and education facilities for people with disabilities.
The NGO had inspected 40 sites at the campus on the orders of the court to find out whether pavements were accessible to the disabled, especially the visually impaired.
The court said that many obstructions were in the middle of the tactile paths meant for blind people. It also noted that hand rails were put up randomly.
In its order, the bench directed the Delhi government's Public Works Department (PWD), the municipal corporation, and the police to interact with the Chief Architect (Roads) of the New Delhi Municipal Council.
They have to come up with a plan to make sure the streets and pavements of North Campus were made disabled-friendly within four weeks.
The NGO, Nipman Foundation, has been asked to check the sites again after four weeks.
Watch in Sign Language
- PGIMER Chandigarh agrees to implement RPWD Act in 2019 prospectus for postgraduate medical students
March 25, 2019
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Global brand IKEA goes accessible, launches 3D printable furniture pieces
- Get-hooked March 23, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Headlines March 19, 2019 Rahul Gandhi PM Modi over chowkidaar campaign
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 In enabling son Advait to unlock his potential, mom Smrithy came into her own as an empowered parent
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Nearly a month after Sambuddha Ghosh's death, family struggles for answers
- Get-hooked March 21, 2019 #WonderWoman - Ketna Mehta is giving people with disabilities wings to fly
- Headlines March 25, 2019 New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wins praise for response to terror attack
- Events March 20, 2019 Run 4 Autism Marathon- More details to come
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Nirav Modi arrested in London
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News