Delhi High Court tells state government to make pavements in Delhi University accessible in 4 weeks
April 21, 2018
The Delhi High Court has directed the Delhi state government, police, and municipal corporation of north Delhi to take immediate action to make pavements in Delhi University's North Campus disabled friendly within four weeks.
The high court noted that the pavements in the North Campus were inaccessible to people with disabilities.
This is especially in the case of people with vision impairments given the obstacles such as traffic lights, police posts, trees, and shops in the middle of footpaths.
The court said this after examining photographs and a report filed by the NGO, Nipman Foundation, that works to improve health and education facilities for people with disabilities.
The NGO had inspected 40 sites at the campus on the orders of the court to find out whether pavements were accessible to the disabled, especially the visually impaired.
The court said that many obstructions were in the middle of the tactile paths meant for blind people. It also noted that hand rails were put up randomly.
In its order, the bench directed the Delhi government's Public Works Department (PWD), the municipal corporation, and the police to interact with the Chief Architect (Roads) of the New Delhi Municipal Council.
They have to come up with a plan to make sure the streets and pavements of North Campus were made disabled-friendly within four weeks.
The NGO, Nipman Foundation, has been asked to check the sites again after four weeks.
Watch in Sign Language
- Delhi Disabilities Commissioner welcomes order setting up of Special Courts to try offences under RPWD Act 2016
August 23, 2019
- Disabled people push for need of accessible & disabled-friendly Indian Railways
August 23, 2019
- Kerala youth gets electric wheelchair from donor, but stuck indoors due to poor road conditions
August 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports August 22, 2019 #IStandIndependent - Amidst hardships, Manoj Kumar pursues his love for sports with determination & hard work
- Get-Hooked August 20, 2019 Inclusive Spotfix initiative to beauty Bangalore roads
- Get-Hooked August 19, 2019 Hydrotherapist Amal Upadhyay is convinced about the healing powers of swimming
- Parasports August 20, 2019 “Never give up, live life to the fullest”- My Take by triple amputee & Trekker Sekhar Goud
- Headlines August 23, 2019 Amazon forest burns at record rate
- Technology August 21, 2019 #InclusionChamps: Bleetech’s human-centric approach wins them Universal Design Award 2019
- Headlines August 22, 2019 BJP leader files complaint against Anurag Kashyap
- Technology August 22, 2019 #TechThursdays – Kibo XS, world’s 1st intelligent personalised scanning & reading companion
- Get-Hooked August 23, 2019 Some fun things to do in your city this weekend 24 Aug-25 Aug
- Get-Hooked August 18, 2019 Tips to lead a healthy lifestyle when you are an amputee
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News