Delhi High Court tells state government to make pavements in Delhi University accessible in 4 weeks
The Delhi High Court has directed the Delhi state government, police, and municipal corporation of north Delhi to take immediate action to make pavements in Delhi University’s North Campus disabled friendly within four weeks.
The high court noted that the pavements in the North Campus were inaccessible to people with disabilities.
This is especially in the case of people with vision impairments given the obstacles such as traffic lights, police posts, trees, and shops in the middle of footpaths.
The court said this after examining photographs and a report filed by the NGO, Nipman Foundation, that works to improve health and education facilities for people with disabilities.
The NGO had inspected 40 sites at the campus on the orders of the court to find out whether pavements were accessible to the disabled, especially the visually impaired.
The court said that many obstructions were in the middle of the tactile paths meant for blind people. It also noted that hand rails were put up randomly.
In its order, the bench directed the Delhi government’s Public Works Department (PWD), the municipal corporation, and the police to interact with the Chief Architect (Roads) of the New Delhi Municipal Council.
They have to come up with a plan to make sure the streets and pavements of North Campus were made disabled-friendly within four weeks.
The NGO, Nipman Foundation, has been asked to check the sites again after four weeks.
Watch in Sign Language
- Check out these accessible holiday destinations in India
October 16, 2018
- Lucknow zoo becomes blind-friendly, an India first
October 15, 2018
- Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
October 14, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports October 14, 2018 India finish with 72 medals in Asian Para Games, record best ever performance
- Headlines October 18, 2018 #MeToo impact: Union Minister M J Akbar resigns over complaints of sexual harassment
- Parasports October 16, 2018 Aiming for gold in 2020 Paralympics, Asian Para Games gold medalist Ekta Bhyan tells Newz Hook
- Education October 12, 2018 Simple accommodations that can make school less stressful for kids with dyslexia
- Accessibility October 14, 2018 Savlon's new Braille enabled pack gets a big thumbs up. Will other brands follow?
- Headlines October 16, 2018 Over 70 cases of Zika virus reported in Rajasthan
- Get-hooked October 13, 2018 Government announces scholarships for students with disabilities
- Get-hooked October 12, 2018 Some ways to celebrate an inclusive dandiya festival
- Education October 15, 2018 Relief for students with disabilities, CBSE exemptions to take effect from 2019
- Get-hooked October 15, 2018 Supreme Court raps Haryana government for denying disabled students' MBBS admission
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility October 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News