Meghalaya's architects & engineers get critical training in conducting accessibility audits
April 22, 2018
CBM India, an NGO that works to promote community-based disability inclusive development across India, recently held a programme to build the capacities of architects and civil engineers in Meghalaya in conducting accessibility audits.
This came soon after CBM held an Accessibility Audit for 24 government buildings in Shillong.
In 2015, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities launched a nationwide Accessible India campaign.
The campaign, which is in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, aims at creating barrier free societies for disabled people across India. Key to this is making government infrastructure accessible to people with disabilities.
While doing the Accessibility Audit for Shillong, CBM also identified and collaborated with the local Architect and Civil Engineering College. It organized trainings on universal design, accessibility standards, and access audits for members of disability rights groups, students, government architects and engineers.
Some of the trainees also conducted accessibility audits along with CBM for some hands-on learning experience. Based on the findings of this audit, the central government has allocated funds for renovating 24 buildings to make them accessible for disabled people.
In Meghalaya, CBM trained 45 architects and civil engineers to conduct accessibility assessments.
The trained officials will then conduct the accessibility assessments of 51 other government buildings in the state by the middle of 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
- Curated tours, sign language interpreters planned in Kerala as part of Barrier Free Tourism project
May 23, 2019
- Meet the young adults with autism to get their fingers inked for the first time
May 22, 2019
- Madras High Court bench slams Medical Council of India guidelines as biased against disabled medical aspirants
May 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Clean chit for Mulayam Singh & son in corruption case
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Delhi Police reacts to Kejriwal’s comment on security
- Education May 23, 2019 Hyderabad schools strictly warned not to deny admission to children with disabilities
- Headlines May 20, 2019 Exit polls predict comfortable win for BJP
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 #BeingMom - From anxiety to empowerment, the journey of Latha Venkatesan
- Headlines May 21, 2019 Huge turnout for #MenToo protests held in Delhi
- Headlines May 22, 2019 Vivek Oberoi deletes offensive tweet about Aishwarya, apologises
- Get-hooked May 18, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Get-hooked May 24, 2019 This Pune-based centre aims to build awareness, fight the stigma around schizophrenia
- Get-hooked May 21, 2019 From working for underprivileged kids to disability rights advocacy, Diksha wears many hats
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News