Meghalaya's architects & engineers get critical training in conducting accessibility audits
April 22, 2018
CBM India, an NGO that works to promote community-based disability inclusive development across India, recently held a programme to build the capacities of architects and civil engineers in Meghalaya in conducting accessibility audits.
This came soon after CBM held an Accessibility Audit for 24 government buildings in Shillong.
In 2015, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities launched a nationwide Accessible India campaign.
The campaign, which is in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, aims at creating barrier free societies for disabled people across India. Key to this is making government infrastructure accessible to people with disabilities.
While doing the Accessibility Audit for Shillong, CBM also identified and collaborated with the local Architect and Civil Engineering College. It organized trainings on universal design, accessibility standards, and access audits for members of disability rights groups, students, government architects and engineers.
Some of the trainees also conducted accessibility audits along with CBM for some hands-on learning experience. Based on the findings of this audit, the central government has allocated funds for renovating 24 buildings to make them accessible for disabled people.
In Meghalaya, CBM trained 45 architects and civil engineers to conduct accessibility assessments.
The trained officials will then conduct the accessibility assessments of 51 other government buildings in the state by the middle of 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
- Best practice in early screening for deaf children in Mumbai - A study by The Stephen High School for the Deaf
March 22, 2019
- Kochi Muziris Biennale introduces Braille texts, becomes torch-bearers for inclusive art festivals
March 22, 2019
- Karnataka govt introduces accessibility features for elections, disability groups raise questions
March 22, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events March 20, 2019 On The Path To Success - My Journey With My Child
- Accessibility March 20, 2019 Chennai tourist attraction, Elliot’s beach, set to become wheelchair accessible
- Events March 20, 2019 Samam Vidya & Tinkerama Summer camp
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Rewire your brain – Guest Column by Dr Elavatsala Sharma
- Headlines March 21, 2019 Mayawati will not contest 2019 general elections
- Events March 20, 2019 4th National Blind Football Tournament
- Get-hooked March 18, 2019 Nearly a month after Sambuddha Ghosh's death, family struggles for answers
- Events March 19, 2019 Annual Seminar on Inclusion & Accessibility of Deaf
- Get-hooked March 17, 2019 Need more movies to portray disability in a sensitive manner, say activists
- Events March 20, 2019 1st ODI National Zone Cricket Championship for Deaf
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News