Meghalaya's architects & engineers get critical training in conducting accessibility audits
April 22, 2018
CBM India, an NGO that works to promote community-based disability inclusive development across India, recently held a programme to build the capacities of architects and civil engineers in Meghalaya in conducting accessibility audits.
This came soon after CBM held an Accessibility Audit for 24 government buildings in Shillong.
In 2015, the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities launched a nationwide Accessible India campaign.
The campaign, which is in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, aims at creating barrier free societies for disabled people across India. Key to this is making government infrastructure accessible to people with disabilities.
While doing the Accessibility Audit for Shillong, CBM also identified and collaborated with the local Architect and Civil Engineering College. It organized trainings on universal design, accessibility standards, and access audits for members of disability rights groups, students, government architects and engineers.
Some of the trainees also conducted accessibility audits along with CBM for some hands-on learning experience. Based on the findings of this audit, the central government has allocated funds for renovating 24 buildings to make them accessible for disabled people.
In Meghalaya, CBM trained 45 architects and civil engineers to conduct accessibility assessments.
The trained officials will then conduct the accessibility assessments of 51 other government buildings in the state by the middle of 2018.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility August 14, 2019 Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
- Headlines August 19, 2019 Heavy rains bring down temperatures in Delhi
- Events August 14, 2019 Traffic Awareness By Physically Challenged Friends
- Technology August 18, 2019 Tech startup Wavio develops device that will help deaf people see sounds
- Get-Hooked August 15, 2019 Visually impaired singer Muskan uses music to connect with the larger world
- Parasports August 15, 2019 Sekhar Goud is India's first triple amputee to scale Mount Elburus in Russia twice
- Get-Hooked August 12, 2019 A personal struggle inspired this elderly couple to start Balajothi Centre to empower disabled children
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Parasports August 16, 2019 Victorious India Divyang Cricket Team to land in Mumbai tomorrow
- Headlines August 18, 2019 ‘Mission Mangal’ gets grand opening at box office
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News