This blind judoka from Bhopal is ready to stun the world with her throws
April 22, 2018
21-year-old Poonam Sharma is raring to show her best throws when she represents India at the Judo World Cup to be held in Antalya, Turkey.
Poonam will contest in the 52-kg weight category at the tournament. The event is from 21 to 26 April.
Poonam, who is in Turkey, is determined to make a name for herself and for India.
Poonam has fought hard and long to get to this point. The changing point came after she met judo coach Bittu Sharma Bhatele, who runs an academy for blind judokas in Bhopal.
Bhatele's judo academy for the blind is the first of its kind in Bhopal.
For Poonam, the challenges were many. Her father had a paralysis attack two years ago. This was a financial and emotional setback for the family. Seeing Poonam's commitment, her brother also took up judo lessons.
Even though he did not win a medal, Poonam went on to win a silver at the national event. Her coach then decided to teach Poonam and her brother for free.
Now this young woman is waiting to seize the opportunity to show her talent to the world.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Accessibility June 26, 2019 Introduction of a wheelchair ramp might not be just what disability rights groups in Chennai asked for
- Headlines June 21, 2019 Imran Khan trolled after he quotes Tagore as Gibran
- Education June 21, 2019 American College in Madurai introduces disability studies in syllabus
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Panel to review ‘One Nation, One Election’ plan
- Events June 20, 2019 Certificate course in Assistive Technology Solutions
- Get-hooked June 23, 2019 Understanding Deafblindness
- Get-hooked June 22, 2019 Growing number of fake disability certification rackets highlight need for stricter checks & action
- Headlines June 20, 2019 Chennai hit by worst water crisis
- Parasports June 23, 2019 Deaf shooter Dhanush Srikanth stuns the world with performance in regular category
- Headlines June 23, 2019 Pakistan gets warning to curb terrorism by October
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News