This blind judoka from Bhopal is ready to stun the world with her throws
April 22, 2018
21-year-old Poonam Sharma is raring to show her best throws when she represents India at the Judo World Cup to be held in Antalya, Turkey.
Poonam will contest in the 52-kg weight category at the tournament. The event is from 21 to 26 April.
Poonam, who is in Turkey, is determined to make a name for herself and for India.
Poonam has fought hard and long to get to this point. The changing point came after she met judo coach Bittu Sharma Bhatele, who runs an academy for blind judokas in Bhopal.
Bhatele's judo academy for the blind is the first of its kind in Bhopal.
For Poonam, the challenges were many. Her father had a paralysis attack two years ago. This was a financial and emotional setback for the family. Seeing Poonam's commitment, her brother also took up judo lessons.
Even though he did not win a medal, Poonam went on to win a silver at the national event. Her coach then decided to teach Poonam and her brother for free.
Now this young woman is waiting to seize the opportunity to show her talent to the world.
Watch in Sign Language
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events April 18, 2019 Playful Parenting for Happier Urban Families
- Accessibility April 19, 2019 Election Commission's accessibility promises ring hollow in second phase of voting
- Get-hooked April 20, 2019 #AutismPower - Five takeaways from a run with Varun Sawant by Vineet Saraiwala
- Get-hooked April 18, 2019 Tips to manage learning disabilities in adults
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Inclusive Bowling event in Pune is the perfect weekend treat
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Consider loss of internal organs as disability, orders Madras High Court
- Get-hooked April 16, 2019 Expectations from the next government of India - My Take by Jasmina Khanna
- Headlines April 16, 2019 IPL 2019 - Mumbai beat Bengaluru
- Headlines April 22, 2019 Over 200 dead in Sri Lanka blasts
- Accessibility April 22, 2019 Court order paves way for woman without fingerprints to get Aadhaar card
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News