This blind judoka from Bhopal is ready to stun the world with her throws
21-year-old Poonam Sharma is raring to show her best throws when she represents India at the Judo World Cup to be held in Antalya, Turkey.
Poonam will contest in the 52-kg weight category at the tournament. The event is from 21 to 26 April.
Poonam, who is in Turkey, is determined to make a name for herself and for India.
Poonam has fought hard and long to get to this point. The changing point came after she met judo coach Bittu Sharma Bhatele, who runs an academy for blind judokas in Bhopal.
Bhatele's judo academy for the blind is the first of its kind in Bhopal.
For Poonam, the challenges were many. Her father had a paralysis attack two years ago. This was a financial and emotional setback for the family. Seeing Poonam's commitment, her brother also took up judo lessons.
Even though he did not win a medal, Poonam went on to win a silver at the national event. Her coach then decided to teach Poonam and her brother for free.
Now this young woman is waiting to seize the opportunity to show her talent to the world.
Watch in Sign Language
- Exciting cricket at 1st triangular blind cricket series for girls
December 16, 2018
- India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
December 16, 2018
- Wheelchair kabaddi set to make its presence felt in India
December 13, 2018
Read more on Newz Hook
- Education December 14, 2018 Top medical institute in Chandigarh under scanner for discriminating against disabled candidates
- Get-hooked December 14, 2018 Praangan is meeting educational needs of children with disorders
- Headlines December 9, 2018 Kedarnath movie banned in 7 Uttarakhand districts
- Headlines December 10, 2018 Army jawan arrested in connection with Bulandshahr cop murder
- Parasports December 16, 2018 India roots for Arunima Sinha as she sets to scale Antarctica's highest peak
- Events December 13, 2018 Thematic Concert on Sufi and Bhakti
- Accessibility December 10, 2018 Fact check by disability advocacy group on voting day in Rajasthan throws up gaps in accessible election promises
- Headlines December 11, 2018 Farmer sells 2,000-kg onion for 6/-, sends money to top politician
- Headlines December 15, 2018 Supreme Court orders that there should be no further investigation on Rafale deal
- Get-hooked December 13, 2018 This Mumbai sports academy for disabled kids brings a spring to the steps & a smile
Ask your question about any issue related to disability, this is your space to find the answer.
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Parasports December 13, 2018
Parasports December 16, 2018
Newz Hook - Accessible News
Employment December 11, 2018