This blind judoka from Bhopal is ready to stun the world with her throws
21-year-old Poonam Sharma is raring to show her best throws when she represents India at the Judo World Cup to be held in Antalya, Turkey.
Poonam will contest in the 52-kg weight category at the tournament. The event is from 21 to 26 April.
Poonam, who is in Turkey, is determined to make a name for herself and for India.
Poonam has fought hard and long to get to this point. The changing point came after she met judo coach Bittu Sharma Bhatele, who runs an academy for blind judokas in Bhopal.
Bhatele's judo academy for the blind is the first of its kind in Bhopal.
For Poonam, the challenges were many. Her father had a paralysis attack two years ago. This was a financial and emotional setback for the family. Seeing Poonam's commitment, her brother also took up judo lessons.
Even though he did not win a medal, Poonam went on to win a silver at the national event. Her coach then decided to teach Poonam and her brother for free.
Now this young woman is waiting to seize the opportunity to show her talent to the world.
Watch in Sign Language
- "After playing for 15 years, I am getting recognition now" - My Take by blind chess champ Kishan Gangolli
February 19, 2019
- Chessbase India bats for disabled players at a time when official support is hard to come by
February 18, 2019
- Sports must be an integral part in lives of people with disabilities. Here is why.
February 18, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 #LovePossible - How Parvez won Nafisa's hand & heart
- Events February 21, 2019 In- Visible
- Get-hooked February 20, 2019 Expert cook & entrepreneur - Deeja juggles roles with ease
- Headlines February 18, 2019 Superstar Rajinikanth will not contest Lok Sabha Elections
- Headlines February 19, 2019 Pakistani actors and artists banned by Indian film industry
- Events February 17, 2019 Skills Development Transition Program
- Get-hooked February 16, 2019 Trending stories on NewzHook this week!
- Events February 20, 2019 Paintability!
- Headlines February 21, 2019 Trump tells India & Pakistan to get along
- Events February 17, 2019 Meraki – Where Art Exceeds Artists
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News