Map4all all helps disabled people navigate buildings in different cities of the world
Spanish businessman Josep Esteba was so fed up of trying to get around his country in a wheelchair that he made it a mission to map cities for disabled people all over the world.
The result is Map4all, a free mobile application. The Barcelona-based app allows wheelchair users, as well as the blind, hearing-impaired and others, to find out how accessible a building is before they visit it.
Users can check whether a cinema or museum has ramps or lifts, or if a restaurant has menus in Braille.
Establishments can register to add information themselves. The app also draws on data that is self-reported by users.
Map4all has been downloaded in nearly 3,000 cities and works across nine languages.
Like Mapp4all, there are other apps that have come up to help disabled people navigate cities.
Some of these are BlindSquare and Wayfindr, which also offer audio instructions to help blind people get around cities globally. The Wheely NYC app helps New York residents to use the subway by providing targeted information, like whether lifts are working.
Watch in Sign Language
- Review petition challenging 50% vision, hearing disability limit for judge's post to be filed next week
February 15, 2019
- Medical Council of India lets down disabled medical aspirants yet again
February 13, 2019
- Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
February 13, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Parasports February 13, 2019 Para sports champs Neeraj & Sajesh make history, climb Karnataka’s 3rd highest peak
- Get-hooked February 11, 2019 Peranbu, a movie review - Guest column by A L Karpahaganesh
- Get-hooked February 10, 2019 Understanding Rare Diseases
- Headlines February 12, 2019 Rajinikanth’s daughter Soundarya gets married
- Accessibility February 13, 2019 Kerala government introduces exclusive courts to handle cases for disabled people
- Events February 15, 2019 Lawn Tennis for Visually Impaired
- Get-hooked February 9, 2019 Some recreational activities for visually impaired people
- Headlines February 10, 2019 Arun Jaitley back in India after treatment
- Events February 9, 2019 Animal Assisted Therapy for Mental Well-being!
- Get-hooked February 12, 2019 Children with autism showcase their talents at Kochi event
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Accessibility February 12, 2019
Newz Hook - Accessible News