Map4all all helps disabled people navigate buildings in different cities of the world
April 22, 2018
Spanish businessman Josep Esteba was so fed up of trying to get around his country in a wheelchair that he made it a mission to map cities for disabled people all over the world.
The result is Map4all, a free mobile application. The Barcelona-based app allows wheelchair users, as well as the blind, hearing-impaired and others, to find out how accessible a building is before they visit it.
Users can check whether a cinema or museum has ramps or lifts, or if a restaurant has menus in Braille.
Establishments can register to add information themselves. The app also draws on data that is self-reported by users.
Map4all has been downloaded in nearly 3,000 cities and works across nine languages.
Like Mapp4all, there are other apps that have come up to help disabled people navigate cities.
Some of these are BlindSquare and Wayfindr, which also offer audio instructions to help blind people get around cities globally. The Wheely NYC app helps New York residents to use the subway by providing targeted information, like whether lifts are working.
Watch in Sign Language
- #InclusionChamps – Ankita Gulati wins Universal Design Award 2019 for TouchVision
August 19, 2019
- Independence Day honours for Infinity Park, Chennai's largest inclusive park for kids
August 16, 2019
- Kerala floods underline critical need to frame inclusive disaster risk management policies
August 14, 2019
Read more on Newz Hook
- Events August 14, 2019 Dyslexia Awareness Workshop
- Headlines August 17, 2019 UN Security Council holds meeting about Kashmir
- Headlines August 15, 2019 Abhinandan Varthaman to get Vir Chakra on Independence Day
- Get-Hooked August 17, 2019 Trending stories on Newz Hook Aug 9 – Aug 16
- Get-Hooked August 13, 2019 Enjoy this Independence Day with an inclusive trek at Raigad, Maharashtra
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Para shuttler Pramod Bhagat's Arjuna Award glory marred by lack of recognition for head coach
- Parasports August 19, 2019 Indian para athletes hold the flag high at 2019 World Para Athletics Grand Prix
- Headlines August 16, 2019 From 29 October, women can travel for free on Delhi buses
- Headlines August 13, 2019 Indian wins Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament title
- Get-Hooked August 14, 2019 Inclusive art festival aims to uncover new opportunities for Bengaluru residents
Want to feature your inspiring story or share an event with the disabled community? Write to:
Newz Hook - Accessible News